Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: UltraHD Apple TV Set: Does Icahn Know Something We Don't?

What's Jailbreak? Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,491 Times in 577 Posts

Default UltraHD Apple TV set: Does Icahn Know Something We Don't?

Does Carl Icahn know something for certain about a product in Apple's pipeline that the rest of us only think is still a rumor for the time being?

You would have to think a man in possession of 53 million shares of AAPL would be well informed, right? And while we're not saying he has insider info by any means, we are saying Icahn may simply be in a better position to understand why Apple might enter a particular new product category.

Based on the prominent investor's open letter to Apple CEO Tim Cook on Thursday, one could assume that Icahn believes it's logical to expect the long-rumored UltraHD Apple TV set within the next 12-24 months.

"As we highlighted in our previous letter," Icahn wrote Thursday, "we believe UltraHDís (ultra-high-definition television) superior picture quality in comparison to regular HD will drive a major TV replacement cycle as the price gap between them narrows. It should also be noted that Reed Hastings, CEO of Netflix, has referenced UltraHD as a major catalyst for Netflix going forward, and while this is true for Netflix, we believe it is also true for Apple. Against the backdrop of this replacement cycle, FY 2016 represents an opportune time to introduce an UltraHD TV set."

Icahn even went as far as to indicate that Apple is sitting on another potential content/services goldmine if the UltraHD Apple TV set comes to fruition.

"Apple could sell UltraHD movies and shows through iTunes over the internet to the UltraHD TV since cable companies will likely be slow to upgrade their expensive linear infrastructure, as one example of an incremental opportunity," Icahn proposes. "Another is the user interface of television, which you humorously (but accurately, in our opinion) described as being 'stuck in the 1970s.'"

You can be sure the rumor mill will have fun with these assessments and predictions well into the new year. But whether or not we ultimately see the UltraHD Apple TV set is another matter altogether.

Source: Market Watch

That doesnít mean he knows anything. He is trying to persuade Cook to make a TV. Heís not saying itís being done. All this is is Icahn trying to be a proxy CEO via an open letter to Apple by making a bunch of public noise about products he thinks Apple should build, and somehow force Apple into development by public demand.

If he had any inside information on product development, and such a product was in development, he wouldnít have said this. So you can either gather from this that he has inside info and they are not planning a TV, or he doesnít and is trying to persuade them to make something that may or may not be in development.

Either way, I think Apple should stay out of the TV making game. All that would mean is integrated Apple TV, and Iím happy keeping my TV and streaming box separate.

BTW: if he did have any such inside knowledge, he would probably be guilty of multiple insider trading counts and having such inside knowledge severely restricts oneís trading activity.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fleurya For This Useful Post:

Carvensno (2014-10-09), SpiderManAPV (2014-10-09)

Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
    That doesnít mean he knows anything. He is trying to persuade Cook to make a TV. Heís not saying itís being done. All this is is Icahn trying to be a proxy CEO via an open letter to Apple by making a bunch of public noise about products he thinks Apple should build, and somehow force Apple into development by public demand.

If he had any inside information on product development, and such a product was in development, he wouldnít have said this. So you can either gather from this that he has inside info and they are not planning a TV, or he doesnít and is trying to persuade them to make something that may or may not be in development.

Either way, I think Apple should stay out of the TV making game. All that would mean is integrated Apple TV, and Iím happy keeping my TV and streaming box separate.

BTW: if he did have any such inside knowledge, he would probably be guilty of multiple insider trading counts and having such inside knowledge severely restricts oneís trading activity.
    Applauds, what he said doesnt show ANYTHING of him knowing inside info, just a man with alot of money stating his opinion.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Iceman153 For This Useful Post:

SpiderManAPV (2014-10-10)

No he doesn't we know everything from Concave Earth to space that is inverted and sits inside Concave Earth to milk technology with price gouging price tags to go along with the made up upcoming holidays, Christmas, black Friday or made up taxes you get every year if you work. **** you for replying back because I know it's just going to be either take your meds or ignorance is bliss because you're too blind and content of knowing lies because you haven't figured it out for yourself or you're too brainwashed from NASAS BS stories. No it didn't exclated too quickly, I am a realist and realist say whats true. I know everyone hates me on here because I speak the truth and it only takes one ******* to tick me off before he gets eliminated. Just a man with a lot of money stating his opinion right?