Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Begins Asking OS X Developers to Submit Their OS X Yosemite Apps to the Mac App Store

Default Apple Begins Asking OS X Developers to Submit Their OS X Yosemite Apps to Mac App Store

On Tuesday, Apple released the golden master version of its OS X Yosemite operating system to developers for testing. The golden master is pretty close to what we will be able to expect as a public release some time this Fall; probably in the middle of October.

As is customary with Apple's golden master seeds, Apple has kindly begun asking developers to start submitting their OS X Yosemite-compatible applications to the Mac App Store so that when the operating system becomes available to the public for download, users will be able to download updates to their existing applications seamlessly without having to wait on updates.

Apple encourages developers to take advantage of the myriad of new features in the OS X Yosemite operating system:

Quote Originally Posted by Apple
    Add powerful new functionality throughout OS X Yosemite with app extensions, explore the innovative new Swift programming language, and take advantage of advances in game technologies, Safari, iCloud, and more. To prepare your apps for the Mac App Store, download and build with the OS X Yosemite GM candidate and Xcode 6.1 GM seed from the Mac Dev Center. With these latest releases, Swift is now final and you can submit your Mac apps written with Swift to the Mac App Store.
    When OS X Yosemite comes out to the general public, it will be a free upgrade for OS X users. Stay tuned!

Sources: Apple
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 2014-10-01 at 05:12 AM.

Can someone please kindly explain to me, what is different about a "Yosemite" type of app compared to a regular "Mac", aka "OS X", app? Why can't a "Mac" app "just work" on any (reasonably modern) OS X system?

Quote Originally Posted by znbl View Post
    Can someone please kindly explain to me, what is different about a "Yosemite" type of app compared to a regular "Mac", aka "OS X", app? Why can't a "Mac" app "just work" on any (reasonably modern) OS X system?
    the general idea is applications that run in an operating system work by using the capabilities that the operating system provides to do new and novel things. apple in particular is known for changing the details of how the capabilities work or are accessed, necessitating changes to how the application interfaces with said capabilities.

as a concrete example, an app i was working on for ios accessed the user location. in ios 7, you could just try and access the location, and the operating system would automatically prompt the user whether to allow access or not. in ios 8, I had to prompt the operating system to prompt the user as to whether they would allow access or not, necessitating an update for ios 8.

can't speak to the specifics of what might've changed between mavericks and yosemite, but things of that nature i would imagine. apple usually puts together a nice list of changes, but it can be cumbersome to navigate.

also i should mention that sometimes they add new capabilities, which seems to be what this article is more talking about.
    Last edited by kddo14; 2014-10-02 at 03:58 AM.