Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Microsoft Unveils Windows 10, the Company's Next Major Desktop Operating System

Default Microsoft Unveils Windows 10, the Company's Next Major Desktop Operating System

Microsoft has unveiled its next step in the world of the company's desktop operating system. Windows 8.1, which is currently the software giant's latest operating system, is about to take a huge leap to Windows 10, skipping the number "9" completely.

Microsoft's Joe Belfiore took the stage on Tuesday to reveal Windows 10 and some of its features. Among some of the operating system's major changes is the new Start Menu, which appears to be backtracking to the style known and loved by Windows 7 users.

The new Windows 10 Start Menu is still going to have different aesthetic qualities from Windows 7, but it's worth noting that the Start Menu isn't so tablet-oriented as Windows 8's was.

Windows 10 will be able to automatically switch between desktop or touch mode depending on the device it's being booted up on, without the user needing to intervene and choose a mode to boot up in.

Windows 10 is expected to be available some time at the end of 2015.

Sources: iClarified
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 2014-09-30 at 08:29 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Windows 10 will be able to automatically switch between desktop or touch mode depending on the device it's being booted up on, without the user needing to intervene and choose a mode to boot up in.

Windows 10 is expected to be available some time at the end of 2015.
    Hahahahahaha

I bet it comes with a price tag of hundreds of dollars too.

Wow, so they just crammed the horrible bolt-on touch UI into the start menu?? Who’s running things over there these days, the kids in daycare??

By skipping 9 I’m guessing they finally realize the good/bad cycle of major releases they’re on and are trying to skip over the bad one entirely, but they miscounted or didn’t realize that Windows 7 was a good one, and 8 was the bad one!

Oh well, guess we’ll have to wait for Win11.

Oh really? What if you’re using a Yoga, or one of those 20”+ tablet behemoths they’ve been showing off in their commercials? Both are meant to work within and without touch mode!

I really like the Surface Pro 3 and wish there was a Mac equivalent, but Windows itself just seems cluttered and confused. If anyone finds a way to Hackintosh a Pro 3, let me know!

Thanks

Never was a fan of Windows mobile. To much squeezed into it.

Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
    Wow, so they just crammed the horrible bolt-on touch UI into the start menu?? Who’s running things over there these days, the kids in daycare??

By skipping 9 I’m guessing they finally realize the good/bad cycle of major releases they’re on and are trying to skip over the bad one entirely, but they miscounted or didn’t realize that Windows 7 was a good one, and 8 was the bad one!

Oh really? What if you’re using a Yoga, or one of those 20”+ tablet behemoths they’ve been showing off in their commercials? Both are meant to work within and without touch mode!

I really like the Surface Pro 3 and wish there was a Mac equivalent, but Windows itself just seems cluttered and confused. If anyone finds a way to Hackintosh a Pro 3, let me know!
    I sold my Macbook Pro (Late 09) and bought a Surface Pro 2 and never looked back. It can run OSX in a VM through VMware Workstation albeit some light modifications to VMware required, but it works perfectly. Although I don't really use it anymore unless I need to use Apple Remote Desktop.

Most people who used Windows 8.1 never used it on a touch device or if they did, they never really gave it a fair chance and just gave up. Windows 8.1 isn't cluttered, it isn't slow, it isn't bad as most people would like you to believe.

As far as using a Yoga or those big "behemoths" goes, the system will probably instantly switch whether you are interacting with the OS via touch our mouse as it currently does now with 8.1.

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    Hahahahahaha

Rumors are that it'll be a free upgrade to those already on Windows 8. At most, it'll probably be the same cost as Windows 8 which is currently $100 for those still on 7 or bellow.
    Last edited by djrbx; 2014-09-30 at 09:08 PM.

It's nice that they're unifying the OS rather than have 40 different versions. One of the worst things about Windows 8 was the confusion surrounding which one to get and why they're different even though they share the same name. For a multi-billion-dollar corporation you'd think they would have had someone raise that concern.

I think part of the problem with these giant corporations like Microsoft and Apple is that even though there are tons of extremely talented people working there only certain people have contact with (or a way to contact) the higher-ups in the company. This means that those making decisions aren't/ can't listen to those that are not in their inner circle. There's essentially an intelligence bottleneck when these organizations become too large - productivity and efficiency suffer.

It's the same with the government.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jahooba For This Useful Post:

jsuddu0109 (2014-10-01)

Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post

Lmfao. So true.

Microsoft couldn't even get *this* right!—that every OTHER OS of theirs is crap; they skipped the wrong one!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One... Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10.. 10 = X, Windows OSX.

Good the hear that Microsoft have listened to their users and restored the Start Menu back and maintain Windows in having the largest share of the desktop OS

Default VMWare setup?
    Any advice on how you set up OSX in VMWare? I assume you had to buy OSX?

John.

Quote Originally Posted by djrbx View Post
    I sold my Macbook Pro (Late 09) and bought a Surface Pro 2 and never looked back. It can run OSX in a VM through VMware Workstation albeit some light modifications to VMware required, but it works perfectly. Although I don't really use it anymore unless I need to use Apple Remote Desktop.

Most people who used Windows 8.1 never used it on a touch device or if they did, they never really gave it a fair chance and just gave up. Windows 8.1 isn't cluttered, it isn't slow, it isn't bad as most people would like you to believe.

As far as using a Yoga or those big "behemoths" goes, the system will probably instantly switch whether you are interacting with the OS via touch our mouse as it currently does now with 8.1.

Rumors are that it'll be a free upgrade to those already on Windows 8. At most, it'll probably be the same cost as Windows 8 which is currently $100 for those still on 7 or bellow.

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    I think part of the problem with these giant corporations like Microsoft and Apple is that even though there are tons of extremely talented people working there only certain people have contact with (or a way to contact) the higher-ups in the company. This means that those making decisions aren't/ can't listen to those that are not in their inner circle. There's essentially an intelligence bottleneck when these organizations become too large - productivity and efficiency suffer.
    That may not be true. Just because they're big doesn't mean there's a bottleneck. I work for a fortune 25 company and we have a couple different ways to share ideas from the bottom employs up to the exec level.

Quote Originally Posted by gldoorii View Post
    Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One... Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10.. 10 = X, Windows OSX.
    Well, "OSX" is OS "10" with the Roman numeral, not the letter "X". So they both really are OS 10 now! But Apple really should have moved on by now.
    Last edited by fleurya; 2014-10-01 at 01:04 AM.

Default Windows 10...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    Hahahahahaha

I know right and they should do like Apple did just upgrading for free and make consumers happy due to the ones that spent so much money of getting the crapy Windows 8.0!!!!!

What if I use a tablet but dont want touch mode? Will it always startup in touch mode?
    It shouldn't do that, it should be a toggle you get to choose not have it automatically done for you.

How many people out there still on Windows XP, Vista, 7? lol

Quote Originally Posted by NSXrebel View Post
    In still with Windows 7!

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,820 Times in 798 Posts

Windows 7-pro on a 2009 model laptop that is slow. But I refuse to buy a new windows 8 laptop LOL That's ok though, thinking about taking the plunge and buying a Macbook pro

I just did a fresh installation of Windows 8.1 on a Toshiba Ultrabook tablet/laptop something, what a clusterfuck it is. I haven't really messed with Windows after Vista. The military is slow to adopt the latest and greatest, so we still had XP and Vista computers at the time. Didn't like Windows 8.1 one bit.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to NSXrebel For This Useful Post:

Carvensno (2014-10-01)

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,820 Times in 798 Posts

I just did a fresh installation of Windows 8.1 on a Toshiba Ultrabook tablet/laptop something, what a clusterfuck it is. I haven't really messed with Windows after Vista. The military is slow to adopt the latest and greatest, so we still had XP and Vista computers at the time. Didn't like Windows 8.1 one bit.
    Ya I had a client with a AIO running Windows 8, did a factory restore on it. Ran updates, and then ran the 8.1 update which took forever. Then while installing on the computer, windows update was reverting to back to older files and etc... Totally weird and took 45 min to 1 hour to finish the 8.1 update. I have never seen a computer run updates like that before

Gotta wonder why an i-device-related blog is even concerned about this; especially when this blog is primarily about modding said i-devices -- hence the URL of "modmyi.com."

Could it be you're just trying to give the trolls something to talk about? Seems to have worked...

Let's focus here, people; when I want to read about Microsoft's Windows-related news, I'll either turn to a general tech blog (like Engadget or Gizmodo), or I'll go over to wpcentral.com and read up there.