Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: PayPal Bashes Apple in a Full Page New York Times Ad

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default PayPal Bashes Apple in a Full Page New York Times Ad

PayPal recently took out a full-page ad in The New York Times, warning consumers to be cautious of Apple’s security practices, inferring that Apple’s security isn’t the greatest. The timing of the ad conveniently happens to be before the release of Apple Pay and after recent leaks of photos stolen from celebrity iCloud accounts.

The tagline of the ad reads the following:

We the people want our money safer than our selfies. PayPal, protecting the people economy.
    Alluding to the recent buzz surrounding what Apple framed as a “targeted attack” against iCloud accounts which belonged to celebrity iOS device users, the folks over at PandoDaily noted that PayPal was criticizing Apple’s first venture into mobile payments. More specifically, the company’s senior director of communications, Rob Skinner, took a quick jab at issues surrounding the iPhone 6 unveiling’ live stream broadcast stating the following:

Nobody can dispute Apple's strong track record, but payments is a difficult area. It's much more difficult to do payments than to keep a live stream working!
    For those of you who didn’t already know, PayPal is seen as one of Apple Pay’s direct competitors. With its NFC technology, TouchID fingerprint sensor and secure enclave found in the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, Apple Pay can securely store credit card information onboard for later use. Furthermore, the payments will be tokenized, which means that no card holder information is transmitted in the process. Instead only special crypto codes dynamically generated via the iPhone’s secure enclave.

Apple’s iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus will be the first two devices to offer Apple Pay when they are released this upcoming Friday. Support for the payments solution has already been announced for the Apple Watch which is due out in early 2015 as well. Once released, the NFC-equipped watch will be able to make payments using older generation iPhone models like the iPhone 5S, though the specific compatibility hasn’t been announced yet. We’ll have to wait and see.

Those of you interested in seeing the ad can do so below:

Source: PandoDaily via AppleInsider

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Someone sure feels threatened by a new shark in the water gobbling up the profits. Die Paypal. Die a horrible death. You are the worst when it comes to the seller's experience.
    Last edited by exNavy; 2014-09-16 at 03:22 AM.

If someone doesn't think that Apple Pay is secure then they don't have to use it. PayPal is just getting on the Apple-bash bandwagon it seems.

Download the PayPal app now and securely buy almost anything with just one touch.
    How so? First you have to find a location that accepts PayPal then enter your phone number and PIN number to buy something.. That's more than just one touch.

I like PayPal. But, all of these ads, Samsungs included, show how they're scared of Apples market and expansion in other area.

Woah, talk about dilutions of grandeur! Protecting the peoples economy??

Luckily for Jennifer Lawrence she's forced to use her fingerprint for Apple Pay instead of a weak password someone can guess!

Also, pay with just one touch? That a blatant lie!!

Pay with one touch. So PayPal wants to use touchID with their app.

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,820 Times in 798 Posts

There is nothing about one touch with PayPal LOL, log in every time to buy something and verify payment and send it! About a 4-5 step process. Not one touch!

Plus if PayPal isn't liking this? That means don't expect Apple Pay to show up in eBay's app either LOL

Considering the multitude of security flaws found in iOS in the last several months to years, they are right to be cautious. No one wants a law suit because the vendor hasn't been doing its job to make sure its product is secure.

Thanks

Well considering everyone has been wondering why Apple hasn't incorporated NFC in their phones? Now you know why LOL and see what they have been working on for probably the last 3yrs LOL.

Can't get anymore secure by not having any credit card info on the phone itself. Everything is a encrypted token system.

Says the firm that moved its ebay base to Luxembourg so it wasn't subject to laws in this country and you couldn't easily take them to court !!

OH yes always standing up for rights of people not profit ! - LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    Well considering everyone has been wondering why Apple hasn't incorporated NFC in their phones? Now you know why LOL and see what they have been working on for probably the last 3yrs LOL.

Can't get anymore secure by not having any credit card info on the phone itself. Everything is a encrypted token system.
    Your credit card info can be stored on the phone, but it doesn't get transmitted to make the payment the tokens do
    privacy isn't about having something to hide, another view here

look here all grammar police, indulge me.

Paypal is correct. In light of the recent security breach of the iCloud service, I would not feel comfortable giving any sort of control of my money to Apple. Apple is not as secure as every thinks, and PayPal is simply stating facts. Apple does not care about your security...only their profit margin.

PayPal is accredited, time tested, and trustworthy. PayPal cares about its customers...that is why they are running these ads. PayPal wants to protect people from the flawed security of Apple. Go PayPal.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
    Someone sure feels threatened by a new shark in the water gobbling up the profits. Die Paypal. Die a horrible death. You are the worst when it comes to the seller's experience.
    yes they are
    im sure %80 of ppl i know lost money on paypal

Quote Originally Posted by nakedcrook View Post
    Paypal is correct. In light of the recent security breach of the iCloud service, I would not feel comfortable giving any sort of control of my money to Apple. Apple is not as secure as every thinks, and PayPal is simply stating facts. Apple does not care about your security...only their profit margin.
    Apple Pay doesn't use iCloud to store credit card information and Apple is more secure than Android. PayPal isn't stating facts, they're just making silly comments and lying about "one touch" to pay for things. And PayPal isn't trying to protect us from Apple, they're just worried about losing business to Apple Pay.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dsg View Post
    Your credit card info can be stored on the phone, but it doesn't get transmitted to make the payment the tokens do

Watch the Keynote! They explain how everything works.

PayPal is accredited, time tested, and trustworthy. PayPal cares about its customers...that is why they are running these ads. PayPal wants to protect people from the flawed security of Apple. Go PayPal.
    There was no breach. People accounts were accessed because of lousy security passwords. People fishing for names, dates of birth and etc... to try and use that info for accessing their iCloud accounts.

Try reading/researching next time before posting please. It will at least make you look like a intelligent Fandroid person.

Paypal has no room to talk. Apple pay will be way more secure. With paypal you still have to transmit information that can be intercepted and use to buy things without your permission. With Apple Pay it's a one-time use only code transmitted.

Paypal is just scared, and they have every right to be. They are borderline predatory and their customer service is the worst! And even though I never sign up for any email notifications, I get emails from them every week with Phishing scheme-style subjects like "congratulations!..."