Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Report Says Apple Watch Will Require Nightly Charging

What's Jailbreak? Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,491 Times in 577 Posts

Default Report Says Apple Watch Will Require Nightly Charging

On Tuesday, Apple wowed the world of wearables by unveiling its long awaited smartwatch simply called Apple Watch.

But will the Apple Watch disappoint when it comes to battery life, as intensely rumored in recent weeks. A new report published Wednesday by Re/Code certainly suggests that this is possible.

The report in question indicates that Tim Cook's "one more thing" announcement should have been that you'll have to charge Apple Watch daily.

Expected battery life was a glaring omission in an otherwise impressive parade of features and specs. And after ignoring it completely during the Apple Watch’s onstage debut, the company stalwartly refused comment on it during the device demos that followed.
    Why? According to Re/Code, Apple "isn’t yet happy with the watch’s battery life," and this may be part of the reason why the device isn't launching until next year. The company simply wants to boost battery life before releasing the wearable into the wild.

Source: Re/Code
    Last edited by Bo Troxell; 2014-09-11 at 06:31 PM.

I thought this was clear from the presentation. They didnt say it in those words exactly, but the part where they first talked about the charger basically said "you'll need to charge this ***** up every night, so we have made it easy." What's the problem with nightly charging anyway? Do people really not charge their devices nightly?

Nightly charging = No buying! Until smartwatches can be kept on for about a week without charging I don't see the point of owning one no matter how cool or good it looks.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rodnutz For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (2014-09-11)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Can the writer of this article not use the quote feature properly?
    Last edited by lighter; 2014-09-10 at 08:49 PM.

OS X - excellent enough to put on phones LGgeek's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anmiller07 View Post
    I thought this was clear from the presentation. They didnt say it in those words exactly, but the part where they first talked about the charger basically said "you'll need to charge this ***** up every night, so we have made it easy." What's the problem with nightly charging anyway? Do people really not charge their devices nightly?
    If you travel the world you quickly find out there is not always a place to plug in. Since Apple doesn't allow the battery in it's devices to be field replaceable not being able to go 2 to 3 days without charging makes this watch a toy.
    I don't drink kool-Aid, I don't join cults.
    This is why I break out in cold sweat going to Apple retail store.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LGgeek For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (2014-09-11)

It is too bad that they could make it charge by the movement of wearing it like some of the other high end watches (kinetics

Quote Originally Posted by LGgeek View Post
    If you travel the world you quickly find out there is not always a place to plug in. Since Apple doesn't allow the battery in it's devices to be field replaceable not being able to go 2 to 3 days without charging makes this watch a toy.
    I'm well traveled, thank you very much. Do you not travel with your iPhone? That also needs to be charged daily (at least mine does, and that's on a VERY good day with little to no usage, for instance if I was flying all day and unable to use LTE) and I seem to make due just fine. I traveled extensively this summer, and there are more places to plug in than ever (on planes, at airports, at random places in cities all over the world) and there are also portable chargers nowadays.
    Last edited by anmiller07; 2014-09-10 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tridley68 View Post
    It is too bad that they could make it charge by the movement of wearing it like some of the other high end watches (kinetics
    Yea, no thanks. I'll stick to my 'dumb' solar powered watch.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Eagleye's Avatar
    Thanks

So what! If it can last a FULL day, I'll be fine. If not, throw it on the charger for a bit at work or something. If you're traveling, bring a portable external charger if you know you're not going to be by an outlet for a while. Im sure they are working on some crazy way of charging these, or some ridiculous "lifetime" lithium battery... the time WILL come soon enough where we will see significant battery life increases. For now, I will buy one, I will use it, I will enjoy it, and I will charge it, repeat.

I Agree, I charge my phone nightly and a couple times during the day. People who don't understand the workings of electronics complain about battery life without thinking of the multiple processes that are going on that require power. Such a small and light device why would you think its going to have a large battery that is going to last forever. Really people think about that for min.....

People are crazy jumping to conclusions. Since when does no comment on battery life mean disappointing battery life??

If it was launching inside a month Iíd be worried, but since itís probably about 6 months out itís clearly unfinished, which clearly means they wonít have enough information to know how long it will last on average. First they have to get it production ready, THEN they can start running battery life tests to determine what they can quote.

Do people seriously get paid to write this FUD and tripe??

Quote Originally Posted by tridley68 View Post
    You wouldn't get enough power from a kinetic winder to make it useful. Current kinetic winders will only get enough juice to keep a typical watch going for a day or two without additional winding, and a smart watch requires a lot more energy than a standard analog watch.

Since the watch clearly isn't production ready yet, not even Apple knows exactly how long the battery will last. For the vast majority of people, a full day charge is all they need. nightly charging is not really an issue, just like a phone. The problem is people aren't used to the idea when it comes to a watch, which is why they are wigging out over it, But this isn't a watch, it's a very small mobile eletronic device.
    Last edited by fleurya; 2014-09-10 at 10:57 PM.

Thanks

Here's the thing. Even with the great battery on the iP6 Plus, I use my devices so often that I'm sure I'll need to charge it nightly also. Granted a larger battery is going to make things more convenient but those same people who are HORRIFIED at the idea of having to charge their watch nightly are the same people who would have thrown a FIT if the device had been made larger to accommodate a bigger battery. #mjustsayin

Green Apple
    Thanks

It's a real problem, cuz everyone gets their cellphones charged every night... so, what's the deal??

Just get your watch charged too.... SIMPLE

Terrible...considering my Gear 1 gets 3.5 days after rooting and optimization with BT on all the time.

Back to the drawing board for the iWatch.

I'm addicted to jailbreak luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

So how is that different from the current crop of smart watches?

Whats next? News Flash: iWatch band will require manual buckling every time you put it on or take it off!

I know people that don't charge their phones at night. They end up killing their battery mid day and throw it on a charger. My sister in law constantly keeps her battery at 20%. I have no idea why...it makes no sense to me. But that's their problem not Apples. All apple can do is make a product their proud of. I don't see anyone else making their own smart watch....

I thought this was clear from the presentation. They didnt say it in those words exactly, but the part where they first talked about the charger basically said "you'll need to charge this ***** up every night, so we have made it easy."
    Not really. They needed inductive charging simply because the watch is sealed, presumably so you can walk in the rain without it shorting out.

Sold my Pebble to see how the iWatch turned out... doesn't look like i'll be getting it

Going to buy another Pebble most likely, i can go a week without charging it. And i just wear the watch for the time and the style, dont want to be doing tons of stuff on it. Pebble looks better than the iWatch surprisingly, cleaner and simpler for the wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
    So how is that different from the current crop of smart watches?

Whats next? News Flash: iWatch band will require manual buckling every time you put it on or take it off!

Pebble lasts a full week

Quote Originally Posted by nakedcrook View Post
    Terrible...considering my Gear 1 gets 3.5 days after rooting and optimization with BT on all the time.

Back to the drawing board for the iWatch.
    Love all the morons taking wild, baseless speculation as fact just to complain.

Get a life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast