Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Intuit Releases Quicken 2015 for Mac

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Intuit Releases Quicken 2015 for Mac

Intuit, the financial software firm, recently released Quicken 2015 for Mac. The update was long overdue as it was the first in over seven years. The new iteration of Quicken maintains many of the features found in previous releases, though some features like the ability to create a 12-month budget, show loan amortization and pay bills directly within the application have been removed.

What’s strange about the new iteration of the software is that features that have long been a part of the Windows version of Quicken, such as advanced investment options and multi-currency conversion, have yet to make their way to the Mac. Intuit did state that customers can vote on which features should be added next, clarifying that these features will be provided as free updates in the future, which is definitely a plus.

Functionality aside, Quicken 2015 or Mac also sports an updated design, one that reflects Apple’s new “flat” design direction in the upcoming OS X Yosemite. The company’s free companion app for iOS will also work with the new Mac version, giving users the option to sync data and monitor account balances and budgets from their iPhone or iPad. The app is set to let users take pictures or receipts to help track purchases as well.

Last but not least, it should be noted that those of you who use previous versions of Quicken (whether the Mac or Windows version) or Quicken Essentials for Mac, will be given the option to import data into Quicken 2015. Those of you who are interested in buying Quicken 2015 for Mac can do so from the Quicken website for $74.99. The Quicken Money Management iOS app can be downloaded for free from the App Store.

Source: iTunes, Quicken

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks
    I was a beta tester for Quicken 2015 and I can say it's a huge improvement from the Essentials release. It's not 100% upbeat with the Windows version, but I can tell you that I'll definitely be using Quicken for Mac now instead of booting into Windows to use the Windows version.

I use Quicken on Windows, and is pretty much the only reason I run Windows right now. I boot it on a VM, so it's pretty fast and not an issue to run it. I started with the Mac version, which was overpriced and missing tons of functionality compared to the Windows version. I will never go back to the Mac version because theWindows version will always be cheaper and better.

But Quicken even on windows is, at best, mediocre software with tons of glitches.

For example, when I buy something from a local convenience store called United Dairy Farmers, Quicken, for some insanely stupid reason, think it knows better than my bank, changes the name to united Airlines, and classifies it as a travel expense! WTF????

Also, the automatic syncing with my banks constantly stops working and I have to completely delete the account and add it again. Thankfully none of my previous changes or catigorizations is lost.

But, for all it's faults, it's still the best and most sofisticated budgeting/investment application available, so I deal with the problems. No other choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach B. View Post
    I was a beta tester for Quicken 2015 and I can say it's a huge improvement from the Essentials release. It's not 100% upbeat with the Windows version, but I can tell you that I'll definitely be using Quicken for Mac now instead of booting into Windows to use the Windows version.
    " the ability to create a 12-month budget and pay bills directly within the application have been removed. "

Umm, sorry, but if I can't even create a 12 month budget, about the most essential budgeting function one needs, there's no way I would buy that overpriced software! You must be joking!

To say that Intuit sucks is a huge understatement. I had to move to Quicken for the PC years ago because of their dogged refusal to update the Mac app, but the Mac app has always been the red-headed-stepchild to the Windows version. I do not trust them at all. I'm hopeful a true competitor will come along and allow me to seamlessly move my Quicken files over to their program, but no one has done it thus far (and yes, I've tried many). And I wouldn't use this new Mac version if it were free.

Quote Originally Posted by milder View Post
    To say that Intuit sucks is a huge understatement. I had to move to Quicken for the PC years ago because of their dogged refusal to update the Mac app, but the Mac app has always been the red-headed-stepchild to the Windows version. I do not trust them at all. I'm hopeful a true competitor will come along and allow me to seamlessly move my Quicken files over to their program, but no one has done it thus far (and yes, I've tried many). And I wouldn't use this new Mac version if it were free.
    I agree. Quicken all around is pretty glitchy and bad. I don't understand why someone hasn't broken into the market and started eating their lunch. Maybe there's just too many barriers around it related to data secureity and banking system connectio nsecurity. But I don't know if that's the case because the are tons of small-time applications that can pull down your banking data. MS Money was better, but they let it die, which was a sad day for me.

In general I think the quicken application is very good with the right set of features, but it just seems like they haveno problem selling glitchy software and are very lazy to fix it, because they know they can get away with it due to lack of competition. That's why I'll never bother with their new software unless it includes some killer-must have feature. But it never does. It's always minor tweaks and a lot of new bugs that you get charged near full price just to upgrade to.

I'm fearful of the day they will inevitably jump on the subscription bandwagon. That's the day I move back to my old Excel templates.

How about Quicken POS ? is there anywhere for MAC ?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Dranon's Avatar
    Thanks

I use Quicken Home and office. It is the only reason I have parallels on my Mac so I can use windows and run Quicken Home and Office. I never liked Quickbooks... and they do not make home and office for the Mac.