Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Forbes: Healthkit May Not Be What the Doctor Ordered

What's Jailbreak? Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,491 Times in 577 Posts

Default Forbes: Healthkit May Not Be What the Doctor Ordered

Despite its promise and potential upon HealthKit's unveiling along with iOS 8 last June, some medical professionals and healthcare industry leaders are expressing both doubts about the utility of HealthKit and concern over its forthcoming market presence.

A comprehensive report from Forbes is probing some of the biggest underlying reservations that many doctors have with regard to HealthKit, namely the accuracy of its services and the security of the user data and patient information to which it has access.

“One thing that is a problem is the purported accuracy of the data,” says Dr. Dushan Gunasekera. “Whilst having this data could be of use, a doctor is unable to guarantee that whichever blood pressure monitor, glucose monitor or fitness tracker a patient is using will be accurate. Because of this, it’s unlikely that we’ll ever be at a point where a doctor will take a look at your phone and be able to give a diagnosis.”

Privacy, of course, is another paramount concern.

“A further issue is with data protection,” adds Dr. Gunasekera. “All medical records are now kept in software devices and whilst it might be beneficial for patients to have their own medical records on their smartphones, who owns this data has to be considered.”

With HealthKit ready to enter the mainstream shortly and a number of prominent medical institutions and organizations gearing up to use the platform, today's report is a timely reminder that not everyone thinks HealthKit is just what the doctor ordered.

To peruse the Forbes' feature in full, click here.

Source: Forbes

Thanks
    Thanked 5,057 Times in 2,011 Posts

I think we need to see what HealthKit is all about when it's finally released.

It is 'kinda' useful from what I've heard but in no way is it replacing a LIVE doctor. It needs to be more of a medical record storage app that is updated regularly. If it can't do that (which is very hard due to HIPAA) then it's almost pointless to even have this.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    I think we need to see what HealthKit is all about when it's finally released.

It is 'kinda' useful from what I've heard but in no way is it replacing a LIVE doctor. It needs to be more of a medical record storage app that is updated regularly. If it can't do that (which is very hard due to HIPAA) then it's almost pointless to even have this.
    I'm reasonably certain that a HIPAA violation only applies if is NOT your personal Health record you see/have access too and/or leak...

Thanks
    Thanked 5,057 Times in 2,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by plaintom View Post
    I'm reasonably certain that a HIPAA violation only applies if is NOT your personal Health record you see/have access too and/or leak...
    Correct BUT they are so anal about where patient info gets stored, they'll find something wrong w/ sharing your info to outside sources.

My point, though, is that this app is only productive if it could update your med records whenever you have something done. HIPAA will block a facility from transmitting data to your iDevice because it could potentially be hijacked by some random hacker sitting in a hospital lobby!!!

So, both ways, receiving your data and sharing your data will piss off HIPAA! They have nothing better to do but find problems in the medical field.