Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: IDC: Android, iOS Attain Commanding New Joint Share of Global Smartphone Market

What's Jailbreak? Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,491 Times in 577 Posts

Default IDC: Android, iOS Attain Commanding New Joint Share of Global Smartphone Market

Another day, more global gains for iOS and Android.

According to data published Thursday by IDC, the worldwide smartphone market reached a new milestone in the second quarter of 2014, "moving past the 300 million unit mark for the first time in its history."

Once again, the International Data Corporation (IDC) Worldwide Quarterly Mobile Phone Tracker points to a commanding duality in the smartphone industry.

Of the 301.3 million smartphones shipped last quarter, the overwhelming majority where iOS and Android devices. "The dominant smartphone operating systems (OS), Android and iOS, saw their combined market share swell to 96.4% for the quarter, leaving little space for competitors," the report summary reads.

Android, however, was the "primary driver" of this growth accounting for a whopping 84.7% of all smartphones shipped for the quarter.

Source: IDC

I know there’re a lot of manufacturers in the Android space but when I hear news like the above I wonder how Apple can be the top selling anything.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

Apple have never needed to be the top seller of anything to be successful.

It's funny to see the word "duality" while one of the "dual" is 7 times larger than the other. Come on, it's already a monopoly!