Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google Announces its CarPlay Competitor, "Android Auto"

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Google Announces its CarPlay Competitor, "Android Auto"

At the recent Google I/O developer’s conference in San Francisco, Google announced Android Auto, which is it’s answer to Apple’s CarPlay. Much like CarPlay, Android Auto is designed to bring the Android experience to a car’s in-dash infotainment system. As described by Google, Android Auto is contextually aware and puts the apps that users need front and center on the car’s dashboard. It stressed that Android Auto is “completely voice enabled,” relying on Google Now much the way CarPlay relies on Siri for voice commands. Google also noted that it’s able to offer a completely personalized experience that is mobile, working with any Android Auto compatible car as it is reliant on an Android phone.

Android Auto integrates deeply with Google Maps, providing drivers with access to all Google Maps features such as local search, personalized suggestions, live traffic information and turn-by-turn navigation. On stage, Android Auto was demoed planning a trip to the DeYoung Museum in San Francisco. The system was first asked how the late museum was open, providing a response, before it was ordered to navigate to the location where it offered turn-by-turn directions. It was also demoed composing and sending messages entirely via voice.

Much like CarPlay, Android Auto also integrates with several different app partners to provide music and other audio such as MLB at Bat, Pandora, Spotify, Songza, Stitcher, iHeart Radio and more.

Google also ended up announcing 40 new partners for its Open Automotive Alliance, which is a group of “technology and auto industry leaders” that are committed to bringing Android to cars in 2014. The goal of the alliance is to make “technology in the car safer, more seamless, and more intuitive for everyone.” According to Google, Android Auto will be available in 25 different car brands with the first cars rolling off dealer lots before the end of the year. Google is also releasing an Android Auto SDK in the coming weeks so developers can create apps for the platform.

Apple’s CarPlay is also expected to be available in several different cars before the end of the year.

Source: Google, Open Automotive Alliance

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

I personally find it maddening how Apple an Android could cause a rift in something like the Automobile industry with Carplay & Android Auto. My phone should not be a part of the reason as to why I buy a car.. If both ecosystems worked together in this then I'd be more than on board, but til' then.. no thank you.

Apple better get on board with Jeep, all im saying. :/

Both Apple and Google need to give up on their own proprietary connectivity protocols in the car and get on board with MirrorLink so the customer doesn’t have to choose between cars based on the phone in their pocket.

Can Google and Apple leave our cars alone? Please? I expect google to put ads all over the dashboard, and apple, well who knows
    Last edited by StuG III; 2014-06-26 at 10:01 PM.