Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Android's Growth Touted at Google I/O

What's Jailbreak? Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,491 Times in 577 Posts

Default Android's Growth Touted at Google I/O

For Apple to effectively wage war on Android, the company must clearly know what its up against in the form of Google's formidable little green robot. As anticipated, some insight into Android's growth became apparent today as Google kicked off its annual developer event, Google I/O.

Google’s senior VP for Android and Chrome, Sundar Pichai, revealed today that Android continues to see a mind-boggling number of new activations every single day. All told, Pichai says there are now more than one billion active monthly users (that translates to one billion people who engage with the Android platform within a 30-day period).

"All that growth has helped boost usage," says Don Reisinger of CNET, citing data provided by Pichai. "Google says 20 billion text messages are sent each day from Android devices and 93 million selfies are taken on a daily basis. The company's Android phones are checked 100 billion times each day."

Unfortunately for those interested in raw numbers regarding Android's growth, we didn't get much today. Instead, Pichai opted to focus on speaking in terms of "percentages." Nonetheless, Android's growth has been mammoth. And we're poised to see a full slate of developments over the course of the I/O convention that could ultimately spur even more growth for Android in the coming year.

Source: CNET

And how many people use Nexus phones? That is, Google, how many people are willing to actively pay for your stuff?

It's free software. And it's free software made by Google. Of course it's popular. Every little device-maker who can't make their own uses it because, well, that part's done for them. What alternative is there, really, to Android? Hell, I have Android running on my Nook Simple Touch. Would I rather have iOS? Damn' straight I would. And I daresay most device makers would rather use iOS in their devices too.

So it is not by its merits that Android is popular. It's by the fact that it's open-source.

And we consumers, Google, feel insulted when you, well, insult our intelligence so.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Essany View Post
    "Google says 20 billion text messages are sent each day from Android devices and 93 million selfies are taken on a daily basis. The company's Android phones are checked 100 billion times each day."
    Android phones report to Google every time they take a selfie?
    Last edited by The6uest; 2014-06-26 at 02:46 PM.