Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: NPD Warns of Wearables Downfall... is Apple Listening?

What's Jailbreak? Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,491 Times in 577 Posts

Default NPD Warns of Wearables Downfall... is Apple listening?

According to a new report from NPD Group, the wearables device market may be hot now, but the sizzle will subside in just two short years.

For Apple investors, the question now becomes should Apple sit out the wearables boom if it's going to hit the breaks so soon? Or, perhaps, should Apple strike now while the iron is hot and dominate the market when other competitors fall by the wayside?

For now, Apple's plans for wearables remain to be seen. But if NPD is correct, it may be understandable why Apple isn't rushing into this market.

All told, NPD expects the wearables market to retreat within the next 24 months before returning to a growth period in 2018 (although the growth will be much more modest than what we're seeing today).

"We expect that the dynamics of the wearables market will be similar to DVD, LCD TV, smartphones, and other digital consumer markets with commoditized hardware," explains Paul Gray, director of European TV research for NPD DisplaySearch. "The arrival of Samsung, LGE, and other large, cost-efficient manufacturers to the wearables market would bring prices and margins down."

Source: NPD Group

<sarcasm intensity="extreme">Yeah, wearables are so hot right now, I hardly ever see anyone not wearing a smartwatch or Google glass-like device. Clearly things have peaked and wearable technology will be long forgotten about in a couple of years as we'll no longer have a use for it when people desire to live simple, disconnected lives again. Totally.</sarcasm>

iPhone? More like MyPhone Slim J's Avatar
    Thanks

I have never seen anybody wear wearables. Over the past few years, I have only seen maybe 5 people with fuel bands, nobody with gear, nobody with glass. The problem is nobody wants to wear tacky items like that look overly geeky. I believe that the wearables never caught on and never will

Wearing my Gear 2 Neo as I type this response.... If you have never used or TRULY tried a wearable, you don't know what you are missing! I will try to help you understand with the following benefits(in no particular order):

1. It's a watch(digital or analog) - I hate always taking my phone out just to see the time
    2. Notifications on your wrist - flick your wrist and see that new text/email(again not having to pull the phone out)
    3. Fitness companion - Tracks your run time, heart rate, calories, monthly history automatically
    4. "iPod" - It has 4gb storage for music or video(nice when running)
    5. Music controller - if 4gb is too small, you can use it to control your phone's music
    6. Sleep analyzer - Lets you know how you are sleeping at night
    7. Connection lost - If you walk away from your phone(or it walks away from you) you get a nice buzz letting you know.
    8. Find My device - Ring your phone if you cant find it (or it walks away from you)

"...hit the breaks..."

I good English write cuz I is a gernilist.

My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MikePA View Post
    "...hit the breaks..."

I good English write cuz I is a gernilist.
    Cheap shot over a single misspelled word. What's much worse is the entire article. OF COURSE Apple is not listening because nobody but journalists pays any attention to these absurd "predictions" or "forecasts" years into the future about market demand.

Quote Originally Posted by buggsy2 View Post
    Cheap shot over a single misspelled word. What's much worse is the entire article. OF COURSE Apple is not listening because nobody but journalists pays any attention to these absurd "predictions" or "forecasts" years into the future about market demand.
    This. Wearables are only going to be getting more and more popular. Glass hasn't even dropped for public use yet and the only decent smart watch available for iPhones (which, face it, is the rich crowd that will be buying wearables) is the Pebble—which was started on a Kickstarter.

Neither Apple nor Google have taken the plunge into wearables yet, and so I find it hard to believe that anybody can make any prediction regarding them when all we've seen is a $1000 prototype, a watch made entirely for marketing/hardcore fans and some Kickstarters.