Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Nest CEO Vows No Ads in Company's Thermostats

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Nest CEO Vows No Ads in Company's Thermostats

Reports have been saying that Google is looking for ad placement on refrigerators and other connected devices, but Nest cofounder and former Apple executive, Tony Fadell, said that his company will not be an outlet for these promotions. A U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission filing has recently revealed that Google may be serving targeted ads on thermostats, watches, dashboards, and glasses just to name a few. Statements seem to be saying that Google is considering using the $3.2 billion purchase of Nest Labs to advertise business.

Fadell issued his own statement to put out the speculation, telling Re/code that ads won’t be displayed on Nest’s Learning Thermostat:

Nest is being run independently from the rest of Google, with a separate management team, brand and culture. For example, Nest has a paid-for business model, while Google has generally had an ads-supported business model. We have nothing against ads — after all Nest does lots of advertising. We just don't think ads are right for the Nest user experience.
    Consumer Product Safety Commission announced recently that Nest was recalling approximately 440,000 Protect carbon monoxide and smoke detector units. The product was taken off shelves back in April due to a potential safety risk in the “Nest Wave” convenience function. Nest also announced that restarting sales of Protect will begin in a few weeks, however, due to the decidedly negative press, the announcement was overshadowed.

Source: Re/code

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

I'm addicted to jailbreak luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Love my Nest... hate Google.
    Besides, who's going to look at a thermostat for ads? Am I going to be walking down the hall, see the ad and think, 'Hmmm, I need to pick up some Tide"?

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
    Love my Nest... hate Google.
    Besides, who's going to look at a thermostat for ads? Am I going to be walking down the hall, see the ad and think, 'Hmmm, I need to pick up some Tide"?
    That's their plan.

I feel like it's intruding on something extremely personal, though, having ads in home appliances like that—being unable to avoid them. Can one truly no longer choose to read a book without turning on the T.V. or computer without seeing an ad in their own home? :/

Thanks

I feel the consumer should have the choice whether he or she wants the ads. Like iBeacon, you can just turn off bluetooth done. With what they are talking about above, I see no consumer options to disallow such a service booo! The "next big thing" will be banner style clothing..hocking everything from world news to the latest soft drink..umm yay?