Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Filing Reveals Google's Plans of Placing Ads on Car Dashboards, Glasses and More

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Filing Reveals Google's Plans of Placing Ads on Car Dashboards, Glasses and More

Google recently admitted in a filing with the US Securities and Exchange Commission that any display, from the wrist to the wall, could be fair game for the company to send advertisements. This means even your refrigerators could one day serve Google AdSense to their users. The company’s list of potential advertising opportunities was detailed in a letter to the SEC in December, in which the search giant attempted to justify why it shouldn’t disclose revenue generated from mobile devices. The SEC has requested that Google and other mobile companies, including Facebook and Twitter, offer investors more detail on their mobile revenue according to The Wall Street Journal.

That being said, Google doesn’t believe it should be obligated to disclose that data as the company noted that its services, including advertisements, could appear on a “wide diversity of devices in the future.” In addition to refrigerators, Google said it could also serve up ads on car dashboards, thermostats, glasses and watches “just to name a few possibilities.” The filing reads the following regarding the matter:

Our expectation is that users will be using our services and viewing our ads on an increasingly wide diversity of devices in the future, and thus our advertising systems are becoming increasingly device-agnostic.
    The mention of thermostats is of particular interest as Google bought Nest Labs, maker of a smart thermostat, for $3.2 billon earlier this year. Nest was founded by ex-Apple executive Tony Fadell and the company’s products were featured prominently in Apple’s own retail stores prior to the Google acquisition. The mention of glasses and watches isn’t a surprise as Google is betting heavily on the future of wearable devices through both its Google Glass project as well its forthcoming Android Wear platform. Google is even dabbling in self-driving cars which would explain the mention of vehicle dashboards.

The most bizarre mention in the whole filing was the so-called Google Refrigerator, signaling the company may be looking to go well beyond the thermostat in building a connected home with advanced appliances.

We’ll have to wait and see how things turn out but I would imagine that the ability to see Ads anywhere and everywhere would get extremely frustrating for many.

Source: SEC via The Wall Street Journal
    Last edited by Akshay Masand; 2014-05-21 at 08:21 PM.

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Probably not the best idea to have ads on car dashboards, Google.

Just sayin'.

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,820 Times in 798 Posts

I will not buy household appliances from Google. Advertising is getting out of control. I'm pay for cable service, can't even watch a show without the channel advertising another show in a ad banner on the lower screen. Which gets in the way of the show you're trying to watch. Can't tell you how many times I have wondered what I missed because of a damn ad banner running across the bottom of my TV.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    I will not buy household appliances from Google. Advertising is getting out of control. I'm pay for cable service, can't even watch a show without the channel advertising another show in a ad banner on the lower screen. Which gets in the way of the show you're trying to watch. Can't tell you how many times I have wondered what I missed because of a damn ad banner running across the bottom of my TV.
    The issue isn't so much not buying Google-brand appliances, but rather, all the major fridge brands are going smart... and they will ostensibly sock you with Google ads. From their perspective, it's free money.

Now this should all be taken with a grain of salt, like all the exotic Apple patents and filings that we've seen over the years that didn't pan out. Still, these suggestions are quite alarming (Google not wanting to disclose more information about its various revenue breakdowns, and Google wanting to collect data from while putting advertisements on any internet-connected device it can).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Orby For This Useful Post:

Carvensno (2014-05-21)

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,820 Times in 798 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    The issue isn't so much not buying Google-brand appliances, but rather, all the major fridge brands are going smart... and they will ostensibly sock you with Google ads. From their perspective, it's free money.

Now this should all be taken with a grain of salt, like all the exotic Apple patents and filings that we've seen over the years that didn't pan out. Still, these suggestions are quite alarming (Google not wanting to disclose more information about its various revenue breakdowns, and Google wanting to collect data from while putting advertisements on any internet-connected device it can).
    There ya go! You said it better than me LOL That was my meaning also.

Livin the iPhone Life desepticon's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Christophxr View Post
    Probably not the best idea to have ads on car dashboards, Google.

Just sayin'.
    Agreed. I don't think there's any way that could become legal, unless they are audio-only, which we already have in the radio.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    My brother was eaten by wolves on the NJ Turnpike.

Lol, I just imagined being forced to watch and/or participate in a 30-second ad before being allowed to get some milk.