Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer Has a Message for Apple

What's Jailbreak? Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,491 Times in 577 Posts

Default Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer Has a Message for Apple

Yahoo's chief executive officer has a message for Apple: dump Google for Yahoo!

According to published reports surfacing Wednesday, Yahoo's boss has a master plan. And it involves swaying Apple to favor Yahoo as the default iOS search engine rather than Google.

"A number of Yahoo insiders I have talked to said her plan to pitch Apple on the idea as its marquee mobile search partner is far along," explains Kara Swisher of Re/Code.

The former AllThingsD veteran adds that Yahoo has prepared detailed presentations including "images of what such a search product would look like." And we're told that Yahoo hopes to present all of the above to Apple executives soon.

So what's Apple's incentive in all of this? Well, with Apple and Google seeing an intensifying rivalry at every turn, Apple can't go wrong with delivering a major setback to the search giant's ad revenue, which the switch to Yahoo would certainly facilitate.

“This is the aim of the whole effort here, to grab the pole position in iOS search,” one Yahoo source is quoted in the report. “It will take more than pretty pictures though to convince Apple to give up Google, given its focus on consumer experience being top-notch. But Marissa wants it very badly.”

Source: Re/Code

My iPhone is a Part of Me dwizurd's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,392 Times in 607 Posts

I never use yahoo unless I'm looking up my locale to ust in a widget or lock screen. Maybe I should familiarize myself....
    "All I can be is me, whoever that is" - Bob Dylan

Quote Originally Posted by dwizurd View Post
    I never use yahoo unless I'm looking up my locale to ust in a widget or lock screen. Maybe I should familiarize myself....
    Don't waste your time, yahoo is no good

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,820 Times in 798 Posts

I don't use yahoo myself, but multi millions of IDevices x ad$$$= a lot $$$$$$$ google will be losing out on.

This gotta be a joke..

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cbrm For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (2014-04-17)

My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Thanks

Gawd no. Hey Marissa first make yahoo search worth a damn.

Quote Originally Posted by buggsy2 View Post
    +1

yea i agree yahoo sucks might as well go with bing.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Why would Apple use a search engine even WORSE than Bing?

Quote Originally Posted by buggsy2 View Post
    +5,475,987x10exp225

11. The Following User Says Thank You to XweAponX For This Useful Post:

HovikGas (2014-04-17)

I hate microsoft, but i'm a big fan of bing so they can do what they want, but i'm sticking with bing. I will say though that it makes sense to choose a search engine that isn't affiliated with a major competitor.

Well, while Google's algorithms are unrivaled, using it in Safari is a bit of a pain in the ***, and Yahoo! sure has put a lot of money in various designs for various apps, yielding very intuitive, very useful and very beautiful products. They might actually be on to something here.

Yahoo did a beautiful job with their weather app. If they can put that much good effort into their search app I'm sure it will gain popularity. And it would definitely deal a blow to their main competitor, which is almost always wise.

Google has many advantages that will be hard for Yahoo to match, such as infrastructure and speed. Google is absolutely massive. Maybe Yahoo wants to be bought by Apple?

iPhone? More like MyPhone HovikGas's Avatar
    Thanks

Have any of you searched with Siri before and gotten Bing results? My Safari default search engine is Google, but sometimes it opens up with Bing! I don't get how...

I don't know if people realize this but google pays apple $1billion a year for google to be the default search engine.

Thanks

Google is king when it comes to search engines. Don't they have a quantum computer at their disposal? If not in use..just imagine when they put it to work.

Green Apple
    Thanks

In 2011, it's estimated that Google made about $2B in ad revenue from iOS devices, about 4x that of Android devices. Considering that overall number of smartphones has grown and that Apple has maintained fairly steady market share while increasing the number of units they ship, if usage trends have continued in the same averages, I'd place a conservative estimate on Google iOS ad revenues as being at least $4B and as high as $6-10B.

If I'm right, and Google is paying $1B, and Yahoo had to match or beat that... well, let's say Yahoo had to pony up $2B. At $4B in ad revenue, even if it cost a $1B in operational and other costs, that's still 25% they end up ahead in profit. Profit which goes up exponentially the higher the ad revenue goes.

Let's also think about the ecosystem effect - Yahoo instantly gains additional market reach through this deal, which enables it to further market its services as well as potentially increase what it charges for certain advertisements.

The entry fee might be well justified, IF they can offer a product that is at least good enough so that the supermajority of iOS users don't just change their settings away from the default and back to Google...

Uggh, Yahoo is the worst! I can't believe they're still up and running they were so 10 yrs ago. Apple would never "dump" Google for them....ever!

Dogpile... AltaVista... Yahoo... Ahh the 90's.
    I'm off to burn a CD mix. 💽

21. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleGod For This Useful Post:

HovikGas (2014-04-19)

I've been fearing the day that apple would dump google as an option for a default search engine for years. But if their gonna do it I guess that's why we have jailbreaks right?

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Noodles46 For This Useful Post:

HovikGas (2014-04-19)

Quote Originally Posted by Noodles46 View Post
    I've been fearing the day that apple would dump google as an option for a default search engine for years. But if their gonna do it I guess that's why we have jailbreaks right?
    ???????

Settings>Safari>Search Engine

Or am I missing something?

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Perceptum For This Useful Post:

SpiderManAPV (2014-04-21)