Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: TI to Support Apple's iBeacon Technology Across its Bluetooth Product Line

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default TI to Support Apple's iBeacon Technology Across its Bluetooth Product Line

The Silicon firm, Texas Instruments, recently announced plans to support Apple’s iBeacon microlocation technology across its large Bluetooth product line, including chips for embedded and automotive applications. TI’s Wireless Connectivity Executive, Oyvind Birkenes, said the following in a press release regarding the matter:

Restaurants, retailers and even sports stadiums have started using iBeacon technology, but there are many more applications that could benefit from the technology. Everything from asset trackers, retail, building automation systems, automotive and industrial applications, and a wide variety of consumer electronics.
    TI will bring iBeacons to the company’s SimpleLink CC2541, CC2543, and CC2564 microcontrollers alongside the BL6450Q controller designed for automotive applications. Apple’s iBeacons will also make their way into TI’s WiLink series of integrated WiFi and Bluetooth packages including the WiLink 8Q which enables advanced connectivity in vehicles and adds support for GPS and GLONASS signals. Birkenes added the following regarding the matter:

By providing support for iBeacon technology across our entire Bluetooth low energy portfolio as well as a new SimpleLink SensorTag location app and broadcaster reference design, we are enabling manufacturers to quickly add micro-locationing capabilities to their products.
    The SensorTag app, which is a companion app for TI’s $25 iBeacon development kit of the same name, allows developers to virtually “place” SensorTags within a digital floorplan. The app provides ranging feedback and will launch a customized URL based on its proximity to specific SensorTags. TI also unveiled a new reference design for a broadcast-only iBeacon system, based on the CC2543, which the company says is coin cell-sized, uses minimal power and can be manufactured quickly for a low cost.

We’ll have to wait and see what new places iBeacons get implemented going forward as they are becoming increasingly popular.

Source: TI via MarketWatch

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhone? More like MyPhone rockyseay's Avatar
    Thanks

Why did I think of TI the rapper when I read the title? Lol

iPhone? More like MyPhone HovikGas's Avatar
    Thanks

Now they just need to put iBeacons in their calculators, haha

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoUniversity View Post
    LUL so did I, I even tried to have alternative
    Guesses before I clicked it, the rapper was the first thought

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoUniversity View Post
    Yea that's what it thought too. Thinking he was going to be a financial backer.