Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Alpine Rumored to be Releasing an Aftermarket CarPlay Console this Fall

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Alpine Rumored to be Releasing an Aftermarket CarPlay Console this Fall

Alpine, the car electronics manufacturer, is set to begin selling a standalone aftermarket console that will support Apple’s CarPlay vehicle integration feature, according to Japanese business newspaper Nikkei. Alpine’s offering, which will likely be the first aftermarket device to support CarPlay, is said to hit the United States and Europe this year with a cost of around $500 to $700.Although CarPlay will be found in a number of announced and upcoming vehicles from manufacturers such as Mercedes-Benz, Volvo, BMW, Ford, GM and Honda.

The integration of the system into older vehicles has been a topic of much discussion in recent months. Pioneer Electronics expressed interest in implementing CarPlay compatibility with its existing and future products, only to back away from its comments soon after. Other companies, such as Kenwood, have indicated that CarPlay is only being looked at for integration and that adoption is not currently imminent.

The automotive peripheral company Clarion also hinted at the possibility of bringing CarPlay its aftermarket in-dash systems. In a recent email, the firm noted that it has been working with Apple “from the start” and that it would be further developing its Smart Access in-car infotainment system and CarPlay for different purposes. Ultimately, the company stated that it will support CarPlay in both its aftermarket and OEM products at some point in the future.

The Cupertino California company announced its CarPlay iOS vehicle integration feature last month at the Geneva International Motor Show. The feature allows an iPhone to take over the in-dash display of a car, providing Siri voice controlled access to aspects such as navigation, phone functions, messages and music. The feature was included in Apple’s iOS 7.1 update and works with Lightning-enabled iPhones including the iPhone 5S, iPhone 5C and iPhone 5.

We’ll have to wait and see what happens.

Source: Apple via Nikkei

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

I would definitely get this as long as it doesn't look like the picture above. I pretty sure it would replace the radio area

Thanks
    Thanked 5,057 Times in 2,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buttamix View Post
    I would definitely get this as long as it doesn't look like the picture above. I pretty sure it would replace the radio area
    Even if it looked like that, you could mold it into your dash. My only concern is:
    Apple + Alpine = unaffordable!!!

...and Alpine likes to charge for every single peripheral device that attaches to their headunits! It's like paying to be gang-raped...

I may have gone too far w/ that analogy...😳
    Last edited by thazsar; 2014-04-15 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    Even if it looked like that, you could mold it into your dash. My only concern is:
    Apple + Alpine = unaffordable!!!

...and Alpine likes to charge for every single peripheral device that attaches to their headunits! It's like paying to be gang-raped...

I may have gone too far w/ that analogy...😳
    Yes, kind of pricey there.😒

I believe apple is doing what they do best. Bein unreasonable with the aftermarket head unit companies up front to attempt the push in as many cars from the line that they can get. And then let the after market radios incorporate down the road I built my pioneer system for my truck before app radio was released. And have thought several times about switching. I really like the thought of having my iPhone run my in dash in entirety. But that's me There are also times when I am glad it is all separate Will be an interesting ride none the less

Thanks
    Thanked 5,057 Times in 2,011 Posts

I'm an iDevice enthusiast and a car enthusiast but I honestly don't need iOS in my ride. Have I thought about it, yes! Will I ever do it...doubtful. All I really need is BT connectivity and my Sony XPLOD does a phenomenal job for me.

In fact, because I don't want to be robbed, I rewired my stereo in my 2013 Charger to have my Sony in the glovebox and get killer sound w/out it looking like I have anything!

Well. Everyone's car experience is different. And everyone wants or needs something to suit their need I own a tile installation business. So I am constantly driving to neighborhoods. So gps is justified in my ride Was even a tax write off The only thing that gets me. Is occasionally I will roll up in a brand new neighborhood being developed and my maps will not know where I am going. So about every 2 years I update my maps. Which costs. Yea it's a tax write off to. But it's a bit of a process. Using apple maps Or waze. Or something phone related , the maps update thru apple. It's not a major deal. But just my point of view on it Just 1 point of view. Lol