Results 1 to 15 of 15

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Mac Sales Face Eighth Straight Quarterly Decline in Q1 2014

  1. #1
    What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    5,897
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 200 Times in 179 Posts

    Default Mac Sales Face Eighth Straight Quarterly Decline in Q1 2014


    Apple’s share of the US computer hardware market slipped during the first quarter of 2014, with both IDC and Gartner seeing a year-over-year decline in worldwide PC shipments as consumers trend toward mobile. Unlike last quarter’s amazing performance which saw Apple’s Mac buck the declining PC sales trend with a 30% year-to-year increase, the quarter ending in March proved to be more of a struggle for the company according to market research firms IDC and Gartner.

    According to IDC, the Cupertino California company sold roughly 1.5 million Macs for the three month period ending in March, accounting for a 10.3% share of the US market, down from 11% in 2013. Year-over-year growth dropped roughly 7%, putting Apple in fourth place behind HP, Dell and Lenovo. Gartner also pegged Apple’s shipments at 1.5 million for the quarter, which amounted to a 10.8% share of the market in its breakdown. This number is down 3.8% year-to-year.

    IDC’s results found HP retaining its lead with 25.6% of the market on 3.65 million units shipped, up 2.3% from last year’s 24.9% share on 3.57 million shipments. Dell is quickly approaching the number 1 spot and took a 24.5% marketshare for the first quarter. Shipments stood at 3.5 million units, up 13.4%. Chinese manufacturer Lenovo shot up the US chart with a year-over-year gain of 21.2% on 1.54 million units shipped. The company leapfrogged Apple, which was ahead by over two points in the first quarter of 2013. Toshiba rounded out the top 5 with 7% drop in marketshare on 1.2 million shipped units.



    Researchers at Gartner found similar results for its first quarter results with HP and Dell ahead of Apple, while Lenovo and Toshiba trailed in fourth and fifth place. HP was seen to hold one fourth of the market on 3.5 million units shipped, while Dell was right behind with a 23.8% share on 3.3 million units. Interestingly, Lenovo came in just behind Apple with 8.4% of the market on 1.46 million shipments, but exhibited the highest growth rate of 16.8% from last year. Toshiba was once again in fifth after shipping 1.2 million PCs to take 8.4% of the US market. Gartner principal analyst Mikako Kitagawa said the following regarding the matter:

    In terms of the major structural shift of the PC market, the U.S. market is ahead of other regions. The installed base of PCs started declining in 2013, while the worldwide installed base still grew. The U.S. PC market has been highly saturated with devices: 99 percent of households own at least one or more desktops or laptops, and more than half of them own both. While tablet penetration is expected to reach 50 percent in 2014, some consumer spending could return to PCs.
    Depending on the source, the US PC market either stabilized or grew over the first quarter compared to the same period in 2013. Gartner notes an uptick of 2.1%, while IDC’s estimates show a 0.6% decline in domestic sales. Worldwide shipments, however, continue to shrink as tablets and other “smart” devices take over. Gartner and IDC both estimated drops of 1.7% and 4.4% respectively with total shipments hovering between 73.4 and 76.6 million shipments.

    We’ll have to see how Apple responds to the results going forward.

    Source: Gartner, IDC via AppleInsider

    Twitter: @AkshayMasand

  2. #2
    The amount of people with $3,000 to spare is on the decline.

  3. #3
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    San Diego, California, United States
    Posts
    222
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 28 Times in 19 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by 2Jaze View Post
    The amount of people with $3,000 to spare is on the decline.
    -Amen to THAT. I'd buy a car

  4. #4
    You see that wright there is the answer the price However you get what you pay for I'm Mac all the way. Waiting on my Mac Pro 3 thunderbolts Displays and a Mac Book Pro it's the best of stuff.
    Last edited by ProfessorJack; 2014-04-10 at 09:10 PM.

  5. #5
    I'm also Mac all the way but it is what it is. Many people out there want Macs but just can't afford one.

  6. #6
    Although others may sell more, Apple still makes more money. Its items aren't priced to just 'sell', they're priced because they last and are built well. You always get what you pay for.
    Before I moved to Apple, I was buying a new laptop and desktop every year because I would burn through them, literally. Now I've had my Mac for five years without a single issue. I would rather pay more for something that works well, and I think Apple understands that. Macs sell themselves, and others would need to sell about 3-6 of their products to equal one sale of a Mac.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to ecofrankenstein For This Useful Post:

    Silverado1987 (2014-04-10)

  8. #7
    To add what I sad. Plug and play kills hard ware on PC s gates him self admitted that. But not before me I sad it 5 years earlier. your lucky if you will get 5 years out of a PC now a days

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Jaze View Post
    The amount of people with $3,000 to spare is on the decline.
    More like the number of folks that had $3,000 have bought a MAC, they are all happily using it. The market matured

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twigwonderkid For This Useful Post:

    ecofrankenstein (2014-04-10), Silverado1987 (2014-04-10)

  11. #9
    Apple has fallen way behind on their product updates. I've been wanting to buy a few mac minis, but they have not been updated in almost 2 years! If the prices had fallen, then that would be OK... but apple does not work that way so it creates itself a boom/bust scenario on most hardware.

  12. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by twigwonderkid View Post
    More like the number of folks that had $3,000 have bought a MAC, they are all happily using it. The market matured
    Yeah I bought my early white MacBook laptop in early 2010 for $1,099 and just recently bought an iMac upgraded everything for $1,826. They pay for themselves

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Silverado1987 For This Useful Post:

    ecofrankenstein (2014-04-10)

  14. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofrankenstein View Post
    Although others may sell more, Apple still makes more money. Its items aren't priced to just 'sell', they're priced because they last and are built well. You always get what you pay for.
    Before I moved to Apple, I was buying a new laptop and desktop every year because I would burn through them, literally. Now I've had my Mac for five years without a single issue. I would rather pay more for something that works well, and I think Apple understands that. Macs sell themselves, and others would need to sell about 3-6 of their products to equal one sale of a Mac.
    I put 2k into a computer I built 2 years ago (not a mac) and it still runs like a beast.

    If you put 3k into a computer that's not a Mac, chances are it will last you just as long as a Mac would. personal preference. My guess is you were replacing them every year but replacing them with 400-600 dollar models that really aren't meant to last. I could be wrong, but I find it hard that someone would have to replace a laptop/desktop every year if they spent 3k on it.
    I have used a mac every day at work for the past 2 years and I still hate them.
    love my iPhone though.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to repoman16 For This Useful Post:

    ecofrankenstein (2014-04-10)

  16. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by repoman16 View Post
    I put 2k into a computer I built 2 years ago (not a mac) and it still runs like a beast.

    If you put 3k into a computer that's not a Mac, chances are it will last you just as long as a Mac would. personal preference. My guess is you were replacing them every year but replacing them with 400-600 dollar models that really aren't meant to last. I could be wrong, but I find it hard that someone would have to replace a laptop/desktop every year if they spent 3k on it.
    I have used a mac every day at work for the past 2 years and I still hate them.
    love my iPhone though.

    Well that's kind of what I meant: you pay for what you get. A lot of people assume that Apple just overprices their products, but if you break down the materials and the high quality of them, the price to make the product and the price they sell it for, is not that far off.

    However, this does not go for all brands. I would purchase Sony or HP laptops and desktops for about $1k-2k each, and they would still burn out. So I find it hard to believe that Sony or HP had the same craftsmanship and quality as Apple.

    I don't like PCs because of my bad experience with them; I don't bother with them anymore. I believe that if you probably built your own PC with high quality materials and top notch knowledge, it can last as well. I just don't see that many people being able to do that or have the time to do it. I would rather pay for someone else (who is an actual expert) to do it for me, and that's where Apple comes in.

  17. #13
    My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    I live in a house
    Posts
    511
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 45 Times in 29 Posts

    I hace $3000 to spare but with whats out on the market, i dont think i will be buying apple again. They have us locked down to much. And i get you dont buy an apple to totally config the inside but on the new macs they give 0 option to upgrade once you own it. I have upgraded the hardware on my last 2011 MPB over 4x which is why its still super fast. I started with 4gb of ram now i have 16. Stated with a 500gb then 750gb now i took out my Cd/DVD and added an extra 1tb with my new SSD... I cannot do this with the new machines, not to mention they are over priced. I dont mind paying when something is worth it.. but really. I dont think ill fork out $3000.

  18. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofrankenstein View Post
    Well that's kind of what I meant: you pay for what you get. A lot of people assume that Apple just overprices their products, but if you break down the materials and the high quality of them, the price to make the product and the price they sell it for, is not that far off.

    However, this does not go for all brands. I would purchase Sony or HP laptops and desktops for about $1k-2k each, and they would still burn out. So I find it hard to believe that Sony or HP had the same craftsmanship and quality as Apple.

    I don't like PCs because of my bad experience with them; I don't bother with them anymore. I believe that if you probably built your own PC with high quality materials and top notch knowledge, it can last as well. I just don't see that many people being able to do that or have the time to do it. I would rather pay for someone else (who is an actual expert) to do it for me, and that's where Apple comes in.
    +1 we are on the same page just on different sides of the fence, if that makes sense

  19. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofrankenstein View Post
    Well that's kind of what I meant: you pay for what you get. A lot of people assume that Apple just overprices their products, but if you break down the materials and the high quality of them, the price to make the product and the price they sell it for, is not that far off.

    However, this does not go for all brands. I would purchase Sony or HP laptops and desktops for about $1k-2k each, and they would still burn out. So I find it hard to believe that Sony or HP had the same craftsmanship and quality as Apple.

    I don't like PCs because of my bad experience with them; I don't bother with them anymore. I believe that if you probably built your own PC with high quality materials and top notch knowledge, it can last as well. I just don't see that many people being able to do that or have the time to do it. I would rather pay for someone else (who is an actual expert) to do it for me, and that's where Apple comes in.
    Your statement might be true if you only buy them directly from the brand manufacturers, or at least at their "suggested retail prices". I only buy laptops when they are >50% off their "suggested retail prices". If you are patient, you could always find those good deals, for all different brands, except for Apple. From this viewpoint, Mac truly ARE overpriced, when I am only talking about "the lowest price you could get over a 3-6 month period for the-like configuration".

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •