Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: VIDEO: Volvo Demos Apple CarPlay

What's Jailbreak? Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,491 Times in 577 Posts

Default VIDEO: Volvo Demos Apple CarPlay

On Monday, Apple officially introduced CarPlay as a way to give drivers a "smarter, safer and more fun" way to use their iPhone in the car.

And leading auto manufacturers are already getting behind CarPlay. Case in point - Volvo. Apple CarPlay will be available in new Volvo models. Apple says CarPlay gives iPhone users an intuitive way to make calls, use Maps, listen to music and access messages with just a word or a touch.

For now, vehicles from Ferrari, Mercedes-Benz and Volvo will premiere CarPlay to their drivers this week, while additional auto manufacturers will follow. They include: BMW Group, Ford, General Motors, Honda, Hyundai Motor Company, Jaguar Land Rover, Kia Motors, Mitsubishi Motors, Nissan Motor Company, PSA Peugeot Citroën, Subaru, Suzuki and Toyota Motor Corp.

“CarPlay has been designed from the ground up to provide drivers with an incredible experience using their iPhone in the car,” said Greg Joswiak, Apple’s vice president of iPhone and iOS Product Marketing. “iPhone users always want their content at their fingertips and CarPlay lets drivers use their iPhone in the car with minimized distraction. We have an amazing lineup of auto partners rolling out CarPlay, and we’re thrilled it will make its debut this week in Geneva.”

Coinciding with the launch, Volvo published a new video today highlighting CarPlay in action. Check it out below.

Sources: Apple, Volvo

iPhone? More like MyPhone HovikGas's Avatar
    Thanks

So is this in addition to Siri Eyes Free?

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

We aren't calling it "iOS in the car" anymore? I kinda prefer that, but CarPlay gives them more flexibility, especially if the forthcoming iWatch doesn't run iOS, like the nano.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Now we need apple aftermarket radios

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BrianMorter1984 For This Useful Post:

jery911 (2014-03-04)

So when you go to sell your car after three years you will be trying to sell it to a smaller market to those that own an Apple phone, it won't be of any interest to Android owners

Apple, Android and Windows should have developed a common system

I certainly wouldn't spec it in my car if it could restrict the pool of buyers in the future

iPhone? More like MyPhone crouching's Avatar
    Thanks

I think if someone is purchasing a car with CarPlay, they can afford to purchase an iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by rickuk View Post
    So when you go to sell your car after three years you will be trying to sell it to a smaller market to those that own an Apple phone, it won't be of any interest to Android owners

I certainly wouldn't spec it in my car if it could restrict the pool of buyers in the future
    So if my car has Sirius and someone does not subscribe to it, it is limiting the pool of buyers? Argument is invalid
    Last edited by crouching; 2014-03-04 at 01:39 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to crouching For This Useful Post:

HovikGas (2014-03-05)

Quote Originally Posted by rickuk View Post

its the other way around, i would list it as a feature of my car to get more attention from buyers
    your argument is bad and you should feel bad.

you guys have it all wrong, this is just a screen mirror from your iOS device. This article doesn't give that information. Read this:

Apple CarPlay to bring iPhone experience to your next car's dashboard | Mobile - CNET News

Yea this has been coming tho. Ever since I saw app radio by pioneer which is cool, but limited without the jailbreak and app radio extensions from cydia It's not for everyone But it's really cool that they are adding this for us who want it