Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple and Samsung Lead a Group of Tech Companies Seeking Patent Trolling Protection

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple and Samsung Lead a Group of Tech Companies Seeking Patent Trolling Protection

After asking the US Supreme Court to approve larger penalties for patent trolls who bring frivolous lawsuits against them, Apple and Samsung along with seventeen other technology companies have joined forces and issued a letter to the European Union asking for limits on injunctions in patent infringement cases. As reported by Bloomberg, the companies are asking EU judges to curb patent trolls and introduce anti-trolling changes into the United Patent Court and the upcoming European Unitary Patent system.

A total of nineteen technology companies headed by Apple and Samsung have banded together to argue that the European Union should impose limits on entities that don’t produce actual products and instead buy patents for the sole purpose of asserting them against other firms in costly litigations. More specifically, Apple and Samsung seem to be concerned about patent trolls’ ability to win court injunctions when the validity of the underlying patent is in dispute. The following was mentioned regarding the matter:

The companies have repeatedly lobbied the EU over the issue as the 28-nation bloc implements plans to set up its first patent court, paving the way for a common patent system.
    The companies are urging the committee of EU member states representatives to “incorporate guidance that advises judges on when to issue injunctions or halt the proceedings while a patent’s validity is at issue” as per the report. Huawei, China’s biggest smartphone manufacturer, along with the search giant Google, co-signed the latter.

One survey has estimated that intellectual property disputes, primarily over patents, made up a whopping 18% of cross-border litigation between companies. That’s nearly one in five cases, a number which is expected to rise. The US, UK, Germany, France and China lead the charge in combating cross-border patent trolling with one of the lawyers summing up the situation nicely:

You never know what one judge will do, but if you’re in five countries, the chances that a judge will go favorably to you increases. It’s more a business tool for monetization when it used to be used to fend off a competitor. That has increased the litigation across the world.
    We’ll have to see if the EU does anything to help the technology companies or if the companies are left to fend for themselves.

Source: EU News via Bloomberg

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

If this isn't hypocrisy then I don't know what is..

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOneProfile View Post
    If this isn't hypocrisy then I don't know what is..
    LMAO!!!!!!!!! This made me crack up!! Lol

Yeah... Shut up apple and samsung and take the patent beating you deserve.

They can give but can't take...

'Oh but we actually make the product, we don't just have a patent. So it's alright for us to do it'

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

They are seeking patent trolling protection only for them...

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple and Samsung are not patent trolls. Patent trolls are non-producing entities that acquire patents solely for litigation, with no intention of producing anything or using the patent in any way beyond licensing. ARM, for example, only licenses and doesn't not produce anything, but they are not a patent troll because they design and file the patents in-house rather than purchasing them from actual creators. It's all in the article. Why is this confusing?
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post
    Apple and Samsung are not patent trolls. Patent trolls are non-producing entities that acquire patents solely for litigation, with no intention of producing anything or using the patent in any way beyond licensing. ARM, for example, only licenses and doesn't not produce anything, but they are not a patent troll because they design and file the patents in-house rather than purchasing them from actual creators. It's all in the article. Why is this confusing?
    You don't know what you're talking about. Samsung and apple have been going at it for years over meaningless patents which without the extensive media coverage, the general public would know nothing about. In a nutshell, apple and samsung are both patent trolls. I'm sure you looked through all their bogus lawsuits before posting though.