Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Samsung Reportedly Drops Out of Apple's A8 Chip Production Due to Low Yields

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Samsung Reportedly Drops Out of Apple's A8 Chip Production Due to Low Yields

According to a report from TechNews Taiwan, Apple may end up relying on Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing (TSMC) for the entirety of its A8 processor production in 2014. Samsung allegedly was dropped as a manufacturer because of low yields in its 20 nm manufacturing process for the A-series processor while TSMC was able to meet Apple’s demands.

The Wall Street Journal previously reported in June of 2013 that TSMC may provide some A-series chips for the Apple’s iOS devices in a manufacturing agreement starting in 2014. TSMC was expected to handle up to 70% of the manufacturing load, while Samsung would pick up the rest. Production problems may however have resulted in Samsung being removed completely from the A8 supply chain.

Based on the report, this shift away from Samsung for the A8 processor isn’t expected to affect production of the A9 processor in 2015. An earlier report suggested that Samsung and TSMC may share the production of the A9, with Samsung supplying approximately 40% of Apples’ 14-nm A9 chip family in 2015. This latest report claims Apple may start A9 production with TSMC and its 16 nm process and then shift to Samsung and its 14 nm process when the Korean company can meet demand.

The Cupertino California company’s A8 chip is expected to make its public appearance later this year in its new iPhone and iPad models.

Source: TechNews Taiwan via GforGames, The Wall Street Journal

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

I'm sure the iPhone 6 with it's larger screen size will be a HUGE success and I will expect delays & shortages as usual!

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

They can't just move back and forth between different process sizes. From 16nm to 14nm requires a design modification, complete with rigorous testing.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    Wow, 14nm! That is insane.
    Carbon nanotube transistors are down to 9 nm with much better power efficiency and frequency.

Thanks

With the bigger screen and possible sapphire technology, Im hoping the delays won't be to great. We've seen delays on iPhones before. Remember the white iPhone introduction? Many delays due to color discrepancies. I can only imagine what to expect with a revamped phone. Im sure they will get it all together by that time. IM ready to sell my 5S and upgrade upon launch :]

it's to bad that we will have to wait till 2015 for the 14nm chip this would in my opinion make sales of the new i phone with bigger screen and this chip sky rocket.