Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Microsoft Reportedly Considers Allowing Android Apps to Run on Windows

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Microsoft Reportedly Considers Allowing Android Apps to Run on Windows

In an effort to bolster its struggling Windows platforms, Microsoft is said to be “seriously considering” allowing Android applications to run in both the traditional Windows environment as well as on the Windows Phone mobile platform. According to The Verge, the pros and cons are currently being weighed by Microsoft. Feelings among the executives at the company are said to be both mixed and strong according to the report.

Although Windows has long been the dominant gaming platform among traditional computers, Microsoft has seen its influence diminish as devices such as Apple’s iPad have chipped away at PC sales. Mobile platforms such as Apple’s iOS and Google’s Android control the lion’s share of the mobile space while Microsoft’s Windows Phone remains a distant third.

When comparing the two, Android in particular is the Windows of the mobile space with recent estimates showing that Google’s open-source platform has accounted for the vast majority of all smartphone shipments. Apple’s iPhone is positioned solely in the high-end of the market, and together with Android, the two platforms account for nearly all smartphones shipped.

Some people within Microsoft believe that the company’s current situation could potentially be addressed by allowing Android applications to run on Windows device. Such a move would open up the Windows platforms to hundreds of thousands of new software options that aren’t currently available to users on the company’s devices.

Although developers are focused on creating new applications for Apple’s iOS and Google’s Android, applications for Windows Phones seem to be far less common and there are fewer options available on the Windows Store. The recent report suggests that running Android apps on both Windows Phone and traditional Windows could serve as a “Band-Aid” for the company’s current predicament. This strategy has already failed to generate much attention once, however, as BlackBerry has made efforts to allow Android applications to run on its BlackBerry 10 operating system. Starting with the latest BB10 update, users can install Android applications over the air but users must still find the necessary APK files for the process to work.

Microsoft appears to be a company in a transition, having named Satya Nadella as its new CEO last week. In addition, company founder Bill Gates has stepped down as chairman of the board to make a more active, product-focused role at the company.

We’ll have to see what changes are made going forward.

Source: The Verge

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks

Microsoft has like 1000 total apps, and most by the same dev. I have a Dell tablet, the app selection is really bad for a store that's over a year old.

This is the only way they will get a decent amount of apps on their devices...

This is because most people use Android and iOS!

My iPhone is a Part of Me JazJon's Avatar
    Thanks

Makes Sense! I'm an iPhone guy but this might interest me if the new "large" iPhone 6 doesn't happen. I want a bigger screen. I used to love Windows Mobile years ago pre-iPhone days

Quote Originally Posted by JazJon View Post
    Makes Sense! I'm an iPhone guy but this might interest me if the new "large" iPhone 6 doesn't happen. I want a bigger screen. I used to love Windows Mobile years ago pre-iPhone days
    Go buy a cellular iPad if you want a bigger device

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
    A bigger iPhone is coming this year you like it or not.

And this move will be awesome for Microsoft.

Sorry cellular ipad is nothing but an ipad wifi with able to browse in road also which no one will do.
    I'm having one but I can't make calls which is a rare need but still very useful as I get many free minutes. The worse side is you can't call to customer care also.

You can't send even an ordinary SMS. which is a must in many countries who reloading credits and check credit balance and data balance.

Even no USSD codes in this modern day. You can't reload or recharge your account if you have a prepaid sim.

Because of these ipad fell far behind to other cellular tablets.

Apple products always United States oriented.

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

1+

My iPhone is a Part of Me JazJon's Avatar
    Thanks

I want it to be slightly bigger not iPad bigger. I use a LG Stereo Bluetooth headset all day, every day for phone calls.