Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Looks to Curtail The Need for Fossil Fuels at Arizona Plant

What's Jailbreak? Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,491 Times in 577 Posts

Default Apple Looks to Curtail The Need for Fossil Fuels at Arizona Plant

In what amounts to one of Apple's "greenest" initiatives to date, the Cupertino, California-based tech giant is working diligently to keep fossil fuels at bay in Arizona, the location of Apple's most ambitious solar-powered endeavor out West.

According to a new report from Bloomberg, Apple wanted the Arizona sapphire plant to use only renewable energy. As a result, Apple negotiated with the state and local power company about how to make that happen.

"New solar and geothermal projects are being built because of the project," the report reads. "Apple also got officials to agree to construct a new power substation for the plant."

Eric Virey, an analyst with Yole Development, tells Bloomberg that Apple’s plant will make an “unprecedented” amount of synthetic sapphire. “When it’s operating at full capacity, this plant is going to be producing as much as two times the current worldwide capacity."

According to estimates presented, this one factory may be able to produce enough sapphire for 80-100 million iPhones annually.

Source: Bloomberg

Solar's the way to go here in AZ—let's just hope the sun doesn't fry the solar panels! Lol.

I can't wait for the sapphire screens. I'll be so happy when I won't have to buy screen protectors anymore.

I'm looking forward to the sapphire screens. Sapphire is just about the hardest substance next to diamond. On a hardness scale of 1-10, sapphire is a 9 and diamond is a 10.

Solar power is a giant scam and just plain stupid. How much fossil fuels did it take to manufacture, ship, and construct all those arrays of glass panels? A lot. And what's going to happen when those panels become obsolete and need to be recycled? It takes more energy to recycle materials than it takes to manufacture them, and that energy will come from fossil fuels, most likely.

Not sure about details regarding geothermal, but that should be far more sustainable than solar. Nuclear is the cleanest, but even that takes a lot of energy to extract and manufacture and sustain.

That's pretty cool. Now...can we make the iPhone battery last longer...???

The sun'll come out tomorrow
    Bet your bottom dollar that tomorrow there'll be sun
    Just thinkin' about tomorrow
    Clears away the cobwebs and the sorrow till' there's none

When I'm stuck with a day that's gray and lonely
    I just stick up my chin and grin and say oh

The sun'll come out tomorrow
    So you got to hang on till' tomorrow, come what may!
    Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love ya, tomorrow
    You're always a day away
    unless you sue me for copyright violation for using these lyrics without permission...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
    I can't wait for the sapphire screens. I'll be so happy when I won't have to buy screen protectors anymore.
    You don't have to buy screen protectors currently. That little plastic does nothing for the phone. I have never seen a phone with a scratch of the glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    I'm looking forward to the sapphire screens. Sapphire is just about the hardest substance next to diamond. On a hardness scale of 1-10, sapphire is a 9 and diamond is a 10.

Solar power is a giant scam and just plain stupid. How much fossil fuels did it take to manufacture, ship, and construct all those arrays of glass panels? A lot. And what's going to happen when those panels become obsolete and need to be recycled? It takes more energy to recycle materials than it takes to manufacture them, and that energy will come from fossil fuels, most likely.

Not sure about details regarding geothermal, but that should be far more sustainable than solar. Nuclear is the cleanest, but even that takes a lot of energy to extract and manufacture and sustain.

You are very misinformed, that brain of yours isnt functioning properly and that IQ must be close to average. I'd love for you to say this to Elon Musk along with the hundreds of other dimwits like you that speak negative on solar when you dont know a damn thing about it but speak on it like you do.

You are very wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_X View Post
    You are very misinformed, that brain of yours isnt functioning properly and that IQ must be close to average. I'd love for you to say this to Elon Musk along with the hundreds of other dimwits like you that speak negative on solar when you dont know a damn thing about it but speak on it like you do.

You are very wrong.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post

*Facepalm*

Solar power is not a scam, buddy. And why aren't you attributing the same logic that apparently makes solar power "a scam" for NUCLEAR POWER and GEOTHERMAL, which both require a LOT more resources?

On top of that, nuclear energy is, by no means, "clean." This is barring disaster too. I don't know where you got any of these silly ideas from.
    Last edited by Christophxr; 2014-02-11 at 09:04 AM.