Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple's PC Market Share Now Trumps Dell, HP

What's Jailbreak? Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,491 Times in 577 Posts

Default Apple's PC Market Share Now Trumps Dell, HP

Researchers at Canalys, a firm that lumps tablets with PCs into the same “client computing” market, have just published some incredible numbers on today's PC market.

On Wednesday, Canalys reported that the client computing market rose 17.9% in Q4 2013 to 158 million units. And guess who has the leading computing share?

According to the data presented, Apple leads the pack with an impressive share of 19.5%. Today, Apple's PC market share now trumps that of Dell's and even HP's.

Apple’s 26 million iPads gave it 34% of the tablet market, up from 27% in the prior quarter, the firm said, helped by the introduction of the iPad “Air” and the refresh of the iPad Mini in October. In total, Apple’s tablet and PC units combined added up to 30.87 million units, up 15% from the prior-year period.
    The same numbers also put Apple ahead of Lenovo, which came in second place with an 11.8% market share (18.64 million units).

And what about Android? Don't count out Google's little green robot. "Competition is mounting and Android tablets are falling in price, which will put pressure on Apple's market share in 2014," researchers at Canalys assert.

Source: Barron's

Why would you claim tablets and laptops are the same? They are not equals. Just more propaganda

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WHUDS View Post
    Why would you claim tablets and laptops are the same? They are not equals. Just more propaganda
    Well, unless i'm mistaken, PC stands for "Personal Computer", which both tablets and smartphones are along with classical desktops and notebooks.
    Wiki tends to support my statement Personal computer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (unless you do not agree with it).
    And take Microsoft Surface Pro / Pro 2 into consideration, it is marketed as tablet, it has the size of the tablet, and is packed with x86 intel hardware, so?

But yeah, compare classical PC's most people are used to, to widely available tables, which have rather limited (deliberately or not) capabilities, compared to cPC's, is lame.
    PRAETORIANNI NONNUMQUAM IN PROELIO NUMQUAM IN BELLO SUPERANTUR

Quote Originally Posted by WHUDS View Post
    Besides the very good points the previous commenter made in response to yours, "PCs" as you define them are declining in sales all the time, corresponding nicely with the big boom in tablet sales. It's pretty clear that many mainstream consumers that don't need a full-blown "PC" are buying tablets as an alternative. Therefore, tablets really do belong as part of the PC market.

If one company was doing as well in tablet sales as they are in desktop/laptop sales, they would probably be beating Apple, and yo would change your tune. It does make you wonder though, why are all these desktop/laptop makers so bad at making/selling a decent tablet?

Quote Originally Posted by dennder View Post
    Well, unless i'm mistaken, PC stands for "Personal Computer", which both tablets and smartphones are along with classical desktops and notebooks.
    Wiki tends to support my statement Personal computer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (unless you do not agree with it).
    And take Microsoft Surface Pro / Pro 2 into consideration, it is marketed as tablet, it has the size of the tablet, and is packed with x86 intel hardware, so?

But yeah, compare classical PC's most people are used to, to widely available tables, which have rather limited (deliberately or not) capabilities, compared to cPC's, is lame.
    Its just propaganda, What I said still is fact, The os and ability of a tablet is not the same as a Laptop computer, you would be strange to call a tablet a "PC". Apple "Fans" want this brand to be number one so badly that facts will be twisted to suite reality. One simply cannot perform all the same tasks with a tablet and PC the PC is still more powerful. I'm wasting my time because you all will believe what you want to.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to WHUDS For This Useful Post:

Feanor64 (2014-02-06)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Slim J's Avatar
    Thanks

I hate it when people lump PC's and tablets together. Yes they may be all technically a computer, but most tablets and laptops function differently and usually serve for different purposes. It's like comparing apples and oranges. They may both be fruits, but they aren't the same kind of fruit. In terms of tablet business, yes Apple is on top ahead of HP, Dell or anybody else. In the Laptop and Desktop portion though, HP and Dell come way above Apple.

"Developers who have written great Apps for iOS were paid over 2 Billion USD last year by Apple."

iOS is the most used Tablet OS. Windows 7 is the most used PC OS.

Mac, Linux and others are great but the "choice of software" is what will continue to drive hardware sales as history has shown.

iOS and Windows 7 stand alone at the top in terms of tablet and PC OS's.
    Last edited by zeppy; 2014-02-06 at 06:51 AM.

What some people here tend to forget is that you are not the typical user. For the typical user of a PC, who does little more than email, surf the web, and maybe create a document from time to time, it makes perfect sense to lump tablets in with PCs. i consider some netbooks to be unusable as a PC, but there is no disputing those as PCs. I would rather have an iPad with a keyboard any day of the week over a netbook. My first iPhone had more power than my first 4 or 5 computers combined. Hell, my Palm Treo had more computing power than my first laptop, and I did things on that device that I could never have dreamed of doing on my computer. Yes, the definition of PC is somewhat subjective and different users will define it in different ways. You may even define it differently depending upon whom you are talking to. And guess what - that's ok.

Typical user? If in business like our back office at the clinic, Tablets can not do what we need them to do, I use a tablet for some surfing and reading and some email but I still use a PC for creating documents and serious spread sheets, documentation with our patient data base, writing research papers. Try going to college and write papers and thesis with just an Ipad. I think it would be tough. I think there are number of users who may be able to ditch a laptop but its not many students and business people.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

The very fact that the article itself combines TABLETS and PCs into one category of "client computing" contradicts the claim that tablets and PCs are the same. Tablets are not PCs. End of story!