Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Roku Announces its First Smart TV, Set to Hit Store Shelves This Fall

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Roku Announces its First Smart TV, Set to Hit Store Shelves This Fall

Roku, the popular streaming set-top box that even beat out the Apple TV is the most-used streaming set-top box in the US and is now set to debut its own smart TV called Roku TV this fall. Roku CEO, Anthony Wood, noted the following in his companyís announcement:

Thatís right, actual TVs, designed to give consumers a simple and powerful entertainment experience in todayís connected world. Weíve applied the same principles that have made Roku the most popular streaming players in America to TVs.
    The Roku TV promises to get rid of complicated menus in favor of a simple television home screen offering all available content sources. Much like with Roku streaming players, users of the television set will have access to the Roku Channel Store, featuring 31,000 movies and 1,200 channels. The remote control to access this wll also feature just 20 buttons, supposedly half of those used in a traditional TV set, while the service can also be navigated via other sources, including Rokuís iOS app.

In order to roll out the Roku TV, the company has partnered with TCL and Hisense, with the models set to be shown at the Consumer Electronics Show this year. The first Roku TV models will range from 32 to 55 inches and will be available in several major retail stores beginning this fall.

With a key competitor making the jump forward, Apple will have to eventually respond to the matter or give up the Apple TV which the company claims is currently a "hobby." We'll have to see if Apple does anything regarding the competition going forward or if it holds its ground.

Source: Roku (blog) via The Next Web

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

It looks like all they did is build a TV and put the Roku box inside the TV instead of it being a peripheral. Makes for less clutter, but it's not really a groundbreaking development.

If Apple releases their on TV, I imagine it will be much more inventive than this.

Apple TV RULES!!!!!!

Evasi0n 11.04.1 Jailbreak for your apple 55" tv has been released.
    Please backup you television and close all running football games.
    Oooops.... error, installation of Netflix,Hulu and other streaming channels need xCon as they have Jailbreak detection enabled.
    You can just see it coming.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to socalpete For This Useful Post:

HovikGas (2014-01-07)

My iPhone is a Part of Me Donnutt's Avatar
    Thanks

I have two Apple TVs. One at my home and one at my friend's cabin in the mountains. He also has a Roku box. The Roku consistently fails to play the mp4 movies that would easily play on the Apple TV, but it handled low-bandwidth streaming much better. Now the ISP beefed up their network, and all we use is the Apple TV. Also, we stream audio to a stereo in the back of the room, wirelessly. It even adjusts the video so it stays in perfect sync with the audio. It is fantastic!!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default More [Innovative]?
    Quote Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post
    It looks like all they did is build a TV and put the Roku box inside the TV instead of it being a peripheral. Makes for less clutter, but it's not really a groundbreaking development.

If Apple releases their on TV, I imagine it will be much more inventive than this.

How much more Innovative (or "inventive") can a TV get? The only thing left for TV is to include features that already exist in current peripherals.

Quote Originally Posted by Mann22 View Post
    How much more Innovative (or "inventive") can a TV get? The only thing left for TV is to include features that already exist in current peripherals.
    I have no idea. I just don't see Apple pushing out a new product that doesn't do anything that AppleTV doesn't already do. That's all I was saying.

BTW, "inventive" is a word.