Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Target Won't Be Selling New Beyoncé Album Since Apple's iTunes Had it First

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Target Won't Be Selling New Beyoncé Album Since Apple's iTunes Had it First

Beyoncé recently rocked the internet by releasing an album in the iTunes Store as a total surprise, but not everyone appears to be in love with Beyoncé’s record-breaking album. In exchange for exclusivity, Apple gave her the red carpet treatment in both iTunes and iTunes Radio. The move appears to be a smart one as Beyoncé’s latest album is the fastest selling album in iTunes history, moving 828,773 units within the first three days of availability. Target, which is one of the big music retailers that prides itself on exclusive deals with artists, isn’t too happy about Beyoncé’s decision to go with an iTunes route though.

It’s pretty common for a retailer to get exclusive selling rights for an album but usually only for a limited time. Although other retailers will be getting the Beyoncé album on December 20th, Target won’t be selling the album at all. A Target spokesperson told Billboard the following regarding the matter:

At Target we focus on offering our guests a wide assortment of physical CDs, and when a new album is available digitally before it is available physically, it impacts demand and sales projections. While there are many aspects that contribute to our approach and we have appreciated partnering with Beyonce in the past, we are primarily focused on offering CDs that will be available in a physical format at the same time as all other formats. At this time, Target will not be carrying Beyonce’s new self-titled album ‘Beyonce.’
    Things between Target and Beyoncé weren’t always like this though as the retailer previously worked with Beyoncé in the past. Her last studio album from 2011 in which she included some extra tracks in an extended edition exclusively for the retailer is an example of when things between the two were going well.

It should be noted that Beyoncé isn’t the only big name artist who has decided to partner with Apple for album launches though. Other big name artists such as Justin Timberlake have been doing the same and it seems to be rubbing traditional retailers the wrong way. That being said, it is great news for Apple!

Source: Billboard via Cult of Mac

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooo!!!

Quote Originally Posted by novadam View Post
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooo!!!
    Yes, the 80's called and said this is a disaster. Also asked what's an MP4 file?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to turdsmoka For This Useful Post:

Scheuerle (2013-12-18)

Thanks

Umm..i don't think she can lose. Being chased for your record is a GOOD THING. Why doesn't Target make a streaming app like everyone else and compete. The market is wide open..stop crying and compete.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bigboyz For This Useful Post:

Scheuerle (2013-12-18)

People listen to this crap?

How's this even news?
    Slow day for MMi?
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    Umm..i don't think she can lose. Being chased for your record is a GOOD THING. Why doesn't Target make a streaming app like everyone else and compete. The market is wide open..stop crying and compete.
    ➕1

Quote Originally Posted by jose060789 View Post
    How's this even news?
    Slow day for MMi?
    How is this not news?

Quote Originally Posted by Scheuerle View Post
    ➕1

How is this not news?
    It's not because I don't give two sh*ts about Beyoncé & what goes on around her.
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

It's not because I don't give two sh*ts about Beyoncé & what goes on around her.
    Beyonce is not the subject of this story. This story is about the changes in the delivery infrastructure of digital media. We all live with the consequences of these changes and thus they are interesting and relevant to all people who buy and listen to music. Your personal music preferences are inconsequential in regards to this news story and your wilful ignorance is your own problem.

Beyonce is not the subject of this story. This story is about the changes in the delivery infrastructure of digital media. We all live with the consequences of these changes and thus they are interesting and relevant to all people who buy and listen to music. Your personal music preferences are inconsequential in regards to this news story and your wilful ignorance is your own problem.
    I just said anything that goes around her as well. I think you should check yourself before even talking about "ignorance" you understand me?
    Last edited by jose060789; 2013-12-19 at 01:24 AM.
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

I just said anything that goes around her as well. I think you should check yourself before even talking about "ignorance".
    I'm fine thanks. 👍
    Ignore the world if it helps you deal with it. This is a forum for Apple news and this thread regards the iTunes Store. If this doesn't interest you why are you here and commenting. In fact if you hate Beyonce so much and have no interest in 'anything that goes around her as well' why on earth did you click on this thread in the first place?

Target is dumb for not selling the CD. It's a digital world. Adapt or go extinct. How many people order online at Target? They going to stop selling other products that can be bought online also? I don't think so. This is no different.

U must be a dork or a LAME!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jokadaking View Post
    U must be a dork or a LAME!!!
    Says who? You? Hahaha
    Good one.

I'm fine thanks. 👍
    Ignore the world if it helps you deal with it. This is a forum for Apple news and this thread regards the iTunes Store. If this doesn't interest you why are you here and commenting. In fact if you hate Beyonce so much and have no interest in 'anything that goes around her as well' why on earth did you click on this thread in the first place?
    Alright look dude, I don't hate her per say, I'm just saying that it's not that important. For instance, that news about Obama switching from iPhone to BB, like really? I don't think people care what phone he uses I mean if you do then it's all good. Or the news about Justin Bieber a few days ago, especially that, no one cares.
    Last edited by jose060789; 2013-12-19 at 06:29 AM.
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to jose060789 For This Useful Post:

Scheuerle (2013-12-19)

I agree with the above dude who cares about beyonce. I get the post but who didn't already know that the music industry is going digital. It's only gonna get worst.. Or better if your into that. Me I like having a physical copy to show what I paid for. Nothing like cracking open a new cd looking through the pamphlet, call me old fashion I guess

I'd hit it