Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Shuts Down Online Product Inventory Tracking Tool

What's Jailbreak? Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Shuts Down Online Product Inventory Tracking Tool

Developer Mordy Tikotzky recently posted an update to his website, Apple-Tracker, revealing that he decided to shut down the site after receiving a Digital Millennium Copyright Act takedown notice. He wrote the following regarding the matter:

I'm not really interested in picking a fight with apple so..... I guess it time to just say good bye. Before I go I just wanted to say thanks to all of you for the nice comments and emails that you've sent in the last few days. It was fun while it lasted.
    The takedown notice is posted on the site and was actually dated to October 17, weeks before the iPad Air went on sale. The letter, which was sent by the law firm Kilpatrick, Townsend and Stockton LLP, accuses the site of having used “page-scrape” tools to “access, acquire, copy or monitor” data from Apple’s website. Prior to its shutdown, the tool gained interest, last Friday as a means for shoppers to determine which new iPad Air units were in stock at their nearest Apple Store locations. Data at the time showed that the high-end 128 GB model was in limited supply, while 16 GB Wi-Fi only versions in space grey were readily available. The tool worked by compiling and reformatting data pulled in from Apple’s official online store. The data represented information limited to in-store pickup purchases only and did not necessarily reflect the stock on hand.

The website seemed to also have trackers for the iPhone 5S and Tikotzky had said he was readying the tool to be able to handle Apple’s forthcoming second-gen iPad mini with Retina display. With this week’s shutdown, users will now be required to check Apple’s website directly instead.

Source: Apple-Tracker

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

It was probably taken down cause apple didn't want everyone to see how poorly the were producing their products as of late.

I used this to get my 5s online and pick up at our local store. Apple probably wants the foot traffic of people going to the stores checking inventory.

Either that or they will offer the same tool themselves and want to ensure its just available under their platform. Would fit the theme of: Hey look we like all these JB Apps the community build and will make them stock in our system now because they are so well liked."

Shame on you, Apple. This friendly tool was NOT illegal in any way, and for you to use your billion$ to suppress a helpful consumer service is shameful and wrong.

Rotten Apple!
    They failed to view the website from the perspective that showed the website helping potential iDevice buyers get a hold of Apple products quicker!! I think they're just upset that people would much rather have gone to this website then apple(dot)com to check apple supply. Oh well, it was great while it lasted. :/

iPhone? More like MyPhone SirZyrion's Avatar
    Thanks

Sad. I used a similar tool to find my iPad 2 when they first came out. Sites like this exist because we WANT Apple products, not because we want to steal their data or make them look bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    Shame on you, Apple. This friendly tool was NOT illegal in any way, and for you to use your billion$ to suppress a helpful consumer service is shameful and wrong.
    IF only more people realized that a "Digital Millennium Copyright Act takedown notice" by itself is meaningless. Anyone with the proper writing skills compose such a formal document. Just because such a document was sent doesn't mean it has a legal leg to stand on, which is the case more often than not in my experience. It's nervous and/or spineless web hosts that tend to make this more of an issue.