Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Unleashes iOS 4.2.1 GM for iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch to Devs

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rounder View Post
    Right here, my iPad is bricked because of this update. It jammed half way through the update and now I can't do anything to it. Can't restore, can't update, can't force it to downgrade. So how about eating those words? Unless you an magically kick my iPad out of recovery.

Restoring to 4.2.1 jams at Preparing iPad for Restore, and trying 3.2.2 jams at Restoring iPad...
    User error. It is virtually impossible to brick an iDevice these days; you essentially have to be intentionally trying to brick the device (overwriting/deleting specific code) or unplug the device from the computer during certain parts of the upgrade/restore process. All examples mentioned are direct results of user error.

DFU mode can cure all.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Rounder's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
    User error. It is virtually impossible to brick an iDevice these days; you essentially have to be intentionally trying to brick the device (overwriting/deleting specific code) or unplug the device from the computer during certain parts of the upgrade/restore process. All examples mentioned are direct results of user error.

DFU mode can cure all.
    lol I love how you're blaming me. The issue began because I was updating to 4.2.1 from 4.2 and all of a sudden when it was almost done, iTunes gave me the error that the iPhone Update Software Server is unavailable. You know instead of criticizing, any advice would be appreciated. I've been in the jailbreak scene since the 1.1.1 days, I've always been able to kick a device out of recovery... this is a first.
    My Mac:  iMac 21.6" 2.5GHz Quad-Core i5, 4GB RAM, 500GB, AMD 512MB Video (10.6.6)

iOS Devices: iPhone 4 32GB (4.3.2 JB) | iPad 2 16GB (4.3.2) | Apple TV 2G (4.3 JB)

MobileMe User

Thanks

lol I love how you're blaming me. The issue began because I was updating to 4.2.1 from 4.2 and all of a sudden when it was almost done, iTunes gave me the error that the iPhone Update Software Server is unavailable. You know instead of criticizing, any advice would be appreciated. I've been in the jailbreak scene since the 1.1.1 days, I've always been able to kick a device out of recovery... this is a first.
    I have updated from 4.2 to 4.2.1 on three separate iPads today and I did not encounter a single hiccup.

The problem may not be your direct fault, but it is most certainly due to either user error, usb issues, your computers settings, or other programs/operations running on your computer that conflict with the update process (Such as the issue with WiFi-Sync). To blame it on iOS without any solid evidence does nothing but help to spread fear, uncertainty and doubt within the community.

As far as advice is concerned, I gave you plenty: DFU mode can cure all.

Thanks

I agree, I'm not here to spread fear, I'm here asking for help. DFU is doing nothing for me incase you didn't read that, I am in DFU mode, in fact, I'm stuck in DFU mode.

I'm using the same settings / same everything that I've used since the 4.2 betas began.

I'm simply out of ideas and really wish instead of badmouthing you could share you knowledge. If I'm in DFU, and restore to 3.2.2, and it hangs at 95%... it does not pass that point... ever. What should I do? I've tried creating a custom firmware, that didn't not. 4.2 again, didn't work, infact the 4.2 firmwares don't even begin the load.
    My Mac:  iMac 21.6" 2.5GHz Quad-Core i5, 4GB RAM, 500GB, AMD 512MB Video (10.6.6)

iOS Devices: iPhone 4 32GB (4.3.2 JB) | iPad 2 16GB (4.3.2) | Apple TV 2G (4.3 JB)

MobileMe User

Thanks

Power off the device.

Open iTunes.

Hold the home button down while you plug the device in.

Click "Restore" and let iTunes do it's thing.

May want to check your hosts file...

Thanks

Yeah I've done that mate. I even brought it to the Apple Store earlier and they were stumped because it was hanging at exactly the same spot.

Here's where I'm at now. I managed to actually get it to boot tethered through RedSnow, however once I power off, it's back in recovery. So I booted it again, it's on 3.2.2. I tried exactly what you suggested again, and iTunes gave me an error.

So obviously there's life in the machine... but nothing is letting me restore. I just used RedSnow again and made it go into Pwned DFU mode, and am restoring to a custom firmware... but it's now hung at 95% again.

MobileMe User

Thanks

Try a different USB Port if not , I would try another computer just in case

Thanks

^^

Already tried on my other Macbook. No go.

So it seems the only way to get anywhere is forcing it to boot tethered through RedSnow. I'm now sitting on 3.2.2 and jailbroken. But as mentioned, I power off, it's in recovery. It won't boot itself and any attempt to restore always fails.

MobileMe User

Thanks

Best número uno option for you is leave it as is, take it to the apple store , they will try to restore and see it hangs with errors and will give you a brand new one right off the box

Thanks

I know that's an option, but I don't want a new one. I just want to be able to fix this one! If I can tether it to boot... shouldn't I be able to do something else and get it back to 100% again?

MobileMe User

Thanks

Hmmm, you already tried dfu and that was a no go, tried different computer an ports , nada...hmmm only thing I guess is keep trying to dfu

Thanks

Thanks, I'm trying, but whatever I try, it just will not fully restore. And I can only get into it through RedSnow and tethering the boot.

I must be missing something crucial to try but I can't think of anything else!

MobileMe User

Thanks

Ok if u get on with redsnow, I would then upgrade or restore to an official firmware then try jailbreaking

Thanks

Here's where I'm at now. I managed to actually get it to boot tethered through RedSnow, however once I power off, it's back in recovery. So I booted it again, it's on 3.2.2. I tried exactly what you suggested again, and iTunes gave me an error.
    What specific error did it list?

Thanks

When I try restoring after being on, iTunes just gives me errors. I'm gonna keep trying a couple of things, but it's not looking good. I know I can get a new iPad from Apple...

But what should I tell them? That it's currently on, and if you turn it off it's in recovery and can't be restored? Won't they ask how I got it to boot?

MobileMe User

Did you try IReb to kick it out of DFU mode?

Thanks

When I try restoring after being on, iTunes just gives me errors. I'm gonna keep trying a couple of things, but it's not looking good. I know I can get a new iPad from Apple...

But what should I tell them? That it's currently on, and if you turn it off it's in recovery and can't be restored? Won't they ask how I got it to boot?
    Does it give you specific error numbers? 1200, 1601, 1611, etc.

If you're taking it in, just take it in already in recovery mode and tell them that's what happened when you tried to restore the iPad.

Thanks

Yeah that's what I did today, so they're aware of it...I told them I'll try again before I exchange it. Looks like I'll be walking over in the morning. Cause nothing is working!

And it gives me error 1600 when I try to restore in tethered boot...

MobileMe User

Thanks

Error 1600 is "good." You can use tinyumbrella to kick the device out of recovery mode when you've received that error.

Thanks

I thought so too, but it gives me the error before it begins installing the firmware, and the iPad then turns off, so I don't have the chance to kick it out with TinyUmbrella because the device disappears.

When it's in recovery mode, it just doesn't show up at all in TinyUmbrella..

One things for sure, I really do appreciate you guys trying to help me out!

MobileMe User

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast