Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: vanishing "var/mobile/applications" folder

Default vanishing "var/mobile/applications" folder
    My girlfriend was theming her new Iphone, and managed to make this location disappear, I have no idea how she did it. everywhere i look online for help just says to go to that location, and no one else seems to have this problem, or at least they're not posting about it... Any ideas?
    All the apps are still installed and working, so they must be somewhere, but I've spent a few hours searching for them to no avail. could they have made it hidden?

She has a Verizon Iphone 4g, running 4.2.8, jailbroken with jailbreakme.com.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

FYI: applications should have the first letter a capitalized. So it's /var/mobile/Applications.
    It does make a difference.

Here's what's on my 3GS w/4.2.1
    /private/var/mobile/Applications is the physical location of the Applications folder
    /var/mobile/Applications is a symbolic link to it.

Can't tell you what caused it, or if recreating the symbolic will fix the problem....... or if it will cause problems (likely sometime it will), .... just saying ....

BTW - IMHO: The best way to view files/folders/links is within an ssh window (computer to iphone) using OpenSSH. Many of the other 'access' programs don't show all the details.

Edit: I should be more precise:
    /var is a symbolic link to /private/var. So, all /var/* directories and sub-directories resolve to /private/var/*
    Last edited by Mes; 2011-07-25 at 06:14 AM.

Lol, I just didn't capitalize it in the title here, I made sure it's all correct on her end(I have a little background programming myself, and know how important it is that everything be just so.) Also she's been using cyberduck. We know quite a bit about themeing, she's made a few of her own themes for iPod, we just have no idea why that folder isn't showing up. She wanted to copy/paste it from her iPod, but I said no because it's obviously on there somewhere, since the apps that should be in there work and all.
    Thanks for the reply anyway. I however know nothing about symbolic links, are they like shortcuts? Also her iPod is on 4.2.1 aswell and we have no problem finding it there, but for some reason it's not on the iPhone, like verizon had it moved or something.
    Last edited by Loki0s; 2011-07-25 at 07:39 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Loki0s View Post
    .... I however know nothing about symbolic links, are they like shortcuts.
    Yes. very similar. Part of the core *nix OS. Two type of links are available (hard and soft) and generally work the same way. Also, link and symbolic link are frequently used to describe the same type of 'shortcut'.