Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 4.2.8 Verizon iPhone jailbreak help

Default 4.2.8 Verizon iPhone jailbreak help
    Hello I have a Verizon iPhone running on 4.2.8. I need some help with jailbreaking. Before jumping to conclusions here are the details of what I am doing. First I have snowbreeze 2.7.1 and the stock 4.2.8 firmware. From here I plug my phone in and run snowbreeze. I put the firmware into snowbreeze and have it create the custom Ipsw. I follow the instructions to put the phone into dfu mode and it tells me that I am in pwned dfu mode and then I open iTunes and hold shift and click restore. It loads the custom firmware into iTunes. When iTunes says "preparing iPhone for restore" my screen turns white and stays like that until I get error 1601. I have tried reinstalling iTunes and using ireb to put into pwned dfu mode. That is what everyone keeps telling me and I don't know what to do. Can someone please help me?

According to this How to bypass iTunes error 1600, 1601, 1602, 1603, and 1604 (Mac and Windows) |
    That error is caused by your phone not being properly put into dfu mode

I have read that as well but I don't understand why. What could be causing it to not get into dfu mode properly?

That's weird it won't go into dfu mode. Look into error codes for iTunes based on deleting strings in the host file. I've helped a couple people with restore errors. All they had to do was delete the strings n restart iTunes.

How do you put the firmware into snowbreeze?

Quote Originally Posted by mlee19841 View Post
    That's weird it won't go into dfu mode. Look into error codes for iTunes based on deleting strings in the host file. I've helped a couple people with restore errors. All they had to do was delete the strings n restart iTunes.
    I have done all those as well

Quote Originally Posted by sportclimber View Post
    How do you put the firmware into snowbreeze?
    I have tried dragging it and browsing for it.

Edit. I just saw 2.7.3 is out I will try it with that when I get home

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Use redsn0w to put into pwned dfu. Or iReb. Those work better than Sn0wbreeze's dfu.

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    Use redsn0w to put into pwned dfu. Or iReb. Those work better than Sn0wbreeze's dfu.
    Thank you for replying I have tried using both redsnow and ireb to put into dfu mode. Even with snowbreeze 2.7.3 it still gives me 1601. I was able to use greenpoison on 4.2.6 but something happened and had to restore and upgraded on accident. Will they update greenpoison to work with 4.2.8?

Thanks

Can't you restore to stock 4.2.8 and use redsn0w0.9.6rc14 and install cydia (jailbreak)? That should be untethered.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

+1. if the custom fw isn't working out that's your other option. Don't think theyre working on anything for Greenpois0n right now for 4.2.8.

I thought redsnow didn't work on 4.2.8. I am on stock 4.2.8 btw. I will try that but if it doesnt work I will try something else

Edit. Redsnow told me that it couldn't recognize the Ipsw. I installed Mac OS x on virtual machine but that was too slow to do anything. I really don't know what to do now

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    You are right that's what I did

Okay heres what the prob is... Custom 4.2.8 the snowbreeze 2.72... Dfu thru redsn0w. Have tiny goin after you locally save 4.2.8's sh... Start i tunes... Restore to your custom 4.2.8... U'll get a 1015... Install cydia with redsn0w again and now u should be unteathered... If u still have a problem... Try switchin to a MAC!!!
    Last edited by maxridgewood; 2011-05-17 at 08:54 AM.

How am I supposed to use redsnow to install Cydia it doesn't recognize my firmware.

U have to redirect it to 4.2.6's ofw

Thanks

Having the same problem on a mac... with redsnow and pawnage

Do u have the shsh's stored locally and are redirecting apple to it locally not cydia during restore?... Make sure you have your host file edited in osx's directory... And make sure you repair your permissions first in osx before runnin tiny... Start the tss... Make sure your in a pwn dfu or u'll get a 16 hundred error...

Thanks

how do i get in pwn dfu.. i do have tiny unbrella but im not even sure what it does....

Whats ur computers specs? Operatin system wise??

For windows im not sure.. But on mac u can use redsn0w or pwnage tool to enter dfu mode

U have to save the sh first
    Last edited by maxridgewood; 2011-05-17 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast