Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: BossTool v03.5 Won't relocate applications

Default BossTool v03.5 Won't relocate applications
    I've got BossTool v03.5 installed on my JB 1.1.4 iPod Touch. I tried relocating Ringtones, Applications and Fonts. The ringtones then changed to "Ringtones Already Moved". I tried moving the apps & I got the spinning wheel for a second & then the screen glitched up, not changing to "Apps already moved". Moving fonts was easy & it changed to "Fonts already moved". It now shows "108 MB free out of 300 MB on /
    15040 MB free out of 15184 MB on /var"

I've only once been able to successfully relocate the applications out of about 6 times I've needed to restore/re-jailbreak to due errors. I've tried to restore & re-jailbreak to fix this error but, I keep getting this same error. I used the jailbreak procedure outlined below:

1. RESTORE YOUR IPOD TOUCH TO FIRMWARE 1.1.4. VERY IMPORTANT, IF YOU DON'T DO THIS, YOU WILL GET MANY ERRORS!

1. a) When it's done Restoring, click New, do not let it use your iTunes backup info.
    b) Pick a different name than before, just to avoid confusion. You can change it back later.
    c) When the standard iPod screen appears, unclick Open iTunes when this iPod is connected.
    d) Eject iPod.
    e) Close iTunes.

2. Download the NEW version of ZiPhone at ZiPhone.org (2.6b).

3. Extract the files to the folder of your choice and run the ZiPhone GUI. If you have the Spamming At - Waiting for Response error, you must fun the NVRAM fix. This will fix the error.

4. Then, right next to the iPhone Jailbreak button, you will see a smaller box that says "IPOD TOUCH" CLICK THAT ONE!

5. You will go through the normal restore phase, then the scrolling white text.

6. Soon your iPod Touch is Jailbroken.

03 Installer
    -BSD Subsystem 2.1
    -BSD Subsystem 2.0 Termfix
    -SUID Libfix
    -Community Sources
    -OpenSSH
    -Term-VT100
    -BoosPrefs
    -BossTool

XX Relocate Ringtones, Applications and Fonts using BossTool in the same order
    I don't think that there are any errors in the way I jb my iPod Touch but, any help would be great.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

BossTools doesn't relocate applications properly under 1.1.3 or 1.1.4. Given that you ran it, it should have failed leaving your phone in a state of slight disarray.

Try this from Term-vt100 or (preferrably) SSHing in:

mv /Applications /Applications-old
    mv /private/var/root/Applications /private/var/root/Applications-root
    mv /private/var/root/Applications-root/Applications /private/var/mobile/
    ln -s /private/var/mobile/Applications /Applications
    ln -s /private/var/mobile/Applications /private/var/root/Applications
    rm -rf /Applications-old
    rm -rf /private/var/root/Applications-root
    chown -R mobile:mobile /private/var/mobile/Applications
    chmod -R 755 /private/var/mobile/Applications

Power off the phone, power on. All your applications should be there and loading BossTool should now show 'Applications already moved' and you having a decent amount of space free.

Though this whole ordeal would be non-existent if BigBoss used absolute file paths instead of going across two symbolic links (why BossTool fails to relocate Applications under 1.1.3 and 1.1.4). Use /private/var instead of /var , BigBoss!
    I came, I saw, I forgot what the hell I was there for.

BossTools just worked fine for me on 1.1.4.

Restored, installed BSD, OpenSSH, then BossTools. Moved all 3 in BossTools, no errors.

Thanks

It should, work, reinstall.
    Click that "Thanks" button if I helped you!

For me I just cleared reinstalled bosstool and it worked perfectly.
    I am Olim. We are Olim. And we just did this- together!

Just installed and moved the fonts, after 30 - 40 secs bosstool changed to fonts already moved.

I quit and tried opening various apps, but they all crashed back to springboard.

Turned phone off and on and now im stuck looking at the apple logo and white spinning wheel.

Any ideas?

Bosstools has no effect when I try to move anything.

How would I do this manually after SSHing into my ipod using cyberduck?

Thanks

I don't reccomend doing to manually. Add iSpazio's repository to Installer and there's a Application relocation package.
    Click that "Thanks" button if I helped you!

Yes, if you use the application Caterpiller and use the system font settings, it uses var/private/fonts already for the DejaVu fonts, so when you use bosstool to move your fonts it moves them from system/library/fonts to var/private/fonts/fonts and creates a symbolic link in system/library named fonts that points to var/private/fonts not var/private/fonts/fonts, basically making your phone unable to find any fonts. Luckily I use bossprefs and have the option to enable ssh on boot, so I was able to reverse this, with-out a re-build...

Quote Originally Posted by djmace View Post
    Just installed and moved the fonts, after 30 - 40 secs bosstool changed to fonts already moved.

I quit and tried opening various apps, but they all crashed back to springboard.

Turned phone off and on and now im stuck looking at the apple logo and white spinning wheel.

Any ideas?
    8gb 2G iPhone 2.1 (Pwned)

Hello

I do have the exact problem. how do i reverse the link boss tool with ssh?

Quote Originally Posted by djmace View Post

Any ideas?
    I am guessing that your springboard.app permissions are messed up.
    I am Olim. We are Olim. And we just did this- together!