Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Ipod 4g 4.3.5 stuck in restore/dfu mode? Tried everything

Default Ipod 4g 4.3.5 stuck in restore/dfu mode? Tried everything
    Ok so I was trying to downgrade my ipod 4g 4.3.5 to 4.3.3 but when I jailbroke it with redsn0w, it installed cydia on my 4.3.5...which was quite weird cause I chose the 4.3.3 ispw...but cydia wouldnt open so I tried rejailbreaking it with redsn0w and it got stuck in recovery/dfu mode....now I tried fixrecovery...I tried recboot...I tried unplugging/pluggin in...I tried restoring my ipod with iTunes(which keeps saying its in recovery mode) and using a custom ispw by sn0wbreeze, and when that didnt work..I tried using the official ipsw....I know my ipod isn't broken cause when I use fixrecovery, it shows some greenpois0n stuff...so is my ipod being jailbroken by redsn0w AND greenpois0n...thats the reason why I think my ipod is black...when I hold down the power and home button for 10 seconds, i hear my computer connecting to the ipod, but it still doesnt turn on

If anyones wondering, yes I changed my hosts
    Last edited by warpclaw; 2011-09-14 at 12:40 PM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

You need to restore to stock 4.3.5 to at least get it into a funcional state.

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    You need to restore to stock 4.3.5 to at least get it into a funcional state.
    Like I said...I tried that...

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

And like I said, that's what needs to happen. No tool is going to get you out of recovery mode or dfu. It's a restore to stock 4.3.5 that will, doesn't change my statement.

How you're going to do that? Probably persistence and attempting many different (correct) methods.

So if you unchecked the box in TU to point to Cydia on exit and reverted your host file back to normal, the restore to 4.3.5 should be fine. If it isn't, try it again until it works. Unfortunately sometimes these things don't always go as planned or do what they're supposed to do all the time.

And like I said, that's what needs to happen. No tool is going to get you out of recovery mode or dfu. It's a restore to stock 4.3.5 that will, doesn't change my statement.

How you're going to do that? Probably persistence and attempting many different (correct) methods.

So if you unchecked the box in TU to point to Cydia on exit and reverted your host file back to normal, the restore to 4.3.5 should be fine. If it isn't, try it again until it works. Unfortunately sometimes these things don't always go as planned or do what they're supposed to do all the time.
    Should I run TU while I am restoring to stock?, I ran TU when trying to restore it to custom/stock, I will try it without running TU

EDIT: still not working...I tried running fixrecovery, but it tries to install greenpois0n **** >.<
    Last edited by warpclaw; 2011-09-15 at 12:04 AM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

You need to ensure you follow the steps outlined for TU. uncheck the box to point to Cydia on exit in TU under the advanced options tab. Then close it, open iTunes, and do a restore to stock 4.3.5.

You need to ensure you follow the steps outlined for TU. uncheck the box to point to Cydia on exit in TU under the advanced options tab. Then close it, open iTunes, and do a restore to stock 4.3.5.
    That's exactly what I did...and everytime I try to shift+restore my ipod with iTunes, my iTunes changes my host file....it changes it from
    Code:
    127.0.0.1       localhost
    74.208.10.249   gs.apple.com
    TO
    Code:
     127.0.0.1       localhost
    #74.208.105.171   gs.apple.com
    #74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
    127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com
    So I am guessing that's the reason it wont let me downgrade...

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Downgrade? Are we talking about doing a restore to 4.3.5 or downgrading? Because downgrading requires SHSHs.

Without SHSHs a downgrade isn't possible. The main goal is to successfully get the device into a functional state first which is most easily done by getting to 4.3.5 as it has been on.

Are you getting any errors in iTunes when restoring to 4.3.5?

Yea downgrading haha, and it says it's possible to downgrade with 4.3.5 without SHSH blobs on Downgrade 4.3.5 to 4.3.3 without SHSH Blobs - iPhone 4, 3GS, iPod Touch 4G, 3G, iPad - Jailbreak 4.3.5 / 5.1 / 4.3.1 / 4.3.2 / 4.3.3 / 4.3.4 iOS 5 Untethered - iPad 2 Jailbreak and many other tutorials...you think I should just wait for iOS 5?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

No I'm telling you now whoever said that is wrong. On your device, SHSHs are absolutely required.

I do think you should wait for iOS 5 if you don't have SHSHs.

No I'm telling you now whoever said that is wrong. On your device, SHSHs are absolutely required.

I do think you should wait for iOS 5 if you don't have SHSHs.
    ok free apps i guess it is...and going to settings everytime i wanna change my brightness >.<

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

I would be careful about mentioning that you jb for piracy if "free apps" from the app store aren't good for you MMi does not condone piracy.

Anyhow you can have a tethered jb on 4.3.5 if you'd like. I wouldn't suggest it but, that's your option or you could wait.