Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jailbreaking 4.0.2?

Default Jailbreaking 4.0.2?
    I'll try not to seem utterly newbish.
    I checked the sticky above(the "Ultimate" one) and didn't see any instructions for it.

One can probably tell what my device is from the forum I'm posting in and the little "Device + Firmware" bit. So Yeah.
    I've looked on Google and browsed the first page of this forum and I don't seem to be getting any results.

So Yeah, Anyone mind pointing me where to go or giving me a simpleish tutorial to get my started?

Step 1: Download iOS 4.0.2 for your version of iPhone and iPod touch and redsn0w

Step 2: Update to this latest firmware using the IPSW file you just downloaded via iTunes 9.2.1.

Step 3: Start Redsn0w 0.9.5b5-5 (download link given below) and point it to iOS 4 (Final Version), and not iOS 4.0.2 firmware file to proceed with the jailbreak.

Step 4: Now select “Install Cydia” and click “Next”.

Step 5: Now make sure your device is both OFF and PLUGGED IN to the computer before you click “Next”.

Step 6: Connect your device in recovery mode by pressing the Power and buttons continuously.

At this stage you will be presented with a screen where you will have to quickly hold “Power” button and then while holding the “Power” button, you will now have to hold “Home” button too. Now after few seconds release “Power” button but keep holding “Home” button until installation begins.

Step 7: Sit back and enjoy while redsn0w will do all the rest for you. Once done, your iPhone and/or iPod touch will restart automatically and you will find it jailbroken on the latest iOS 4.0.2 firmware.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

I dont think redsn0w 0.9.5 worked on ipod touch 3G. Should probably try Limera1n instead to jailbreak it on 4.0.2. You should download tiny umbrella as well and save your 4.1 SHSH while you still can so if you want to go to that and jailbreak you will be able to.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

Niffumerew (2010-11-23)

It woks on 3rd gen

Thanks

Uhh.. no it doesn't. Redsnow 0.9.5 still used the old exploit meaning it only worked on iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 2G MB model. He would need at least redsn0w 0.9.6b2 to make use of the limera1n exploit which is when that was incorporated into redsn0w. Redsn0w 0.9.6b3 is the latest available and should work on 4.0.2 also but limera1n is faster and doesnt require him to have a copy of the 4.0 firmware.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

Cowboy (2010-11-22)

Ok you win i got my versions mixed up

Aw frick frick frick.
    Did I just do something bad? Like really bad?

I downloaded Limera1n and ran it. I wasn't actually wanting to Jailbreak it just yet, But I forgot I had my Touch connected to charge.
    And it started doing something.

I went ahead with the "Hold Home & Power" buttons, and then releasing power but it kept saying I did it wrong.
    Now I realise I was releasing the wrong button.

Anyway, Now it's in recovery mode and I can't exit.
    Frick frick frick, What do I do? Did I just brick this thing? D:
    I so hope not.

Help? What do I do?
    I think I need to restore, But what about apps and music on it?
    Can they be re-downloaded?

Thanks

Just close limera1n. Then hold your home and power buttons together until it restarts.

Try holding home and power button first and if that get you out if not....
    Well what ever you have backed up in itunes it will restore back to. but its now probably going to make you update unless you have your sshs backed up? Do you? If not well it looks like you get to try out 4.2

Thanks

Apple is still signing 4.1 for now so like I said earlier if you havent already download tiny umbrella and save your SHSH.

%^^^^^^^
    Do it quickly

I just got the thing about 4 days ago, And my Zombie powerbook(called such because it dies and comes back from the dead) only started working again last night.
    Because of how new it is, I know all that is/was on it.

I couldn't find this "Tiny Umbrella" thing on google, I don't know what a SHSH is.
    Googling seems to explain it, Correct me where I'm wrong.
    It's basically unique ID assigned that specific firmware version

Hm. So if I update via iTunes(I'm using 9.2), It would give me the latest?
    Hm, I think I'd rather get it properly working and wait for an exploit that works with the latest.

Any comments? Is there something I can do with what I have/will have?

edit: Can one get this "SHSH" bit in it's current state?

edit 2: Find Tiny Umbrella, But I don't have Leopard. :/
    Last edited by Niffumerew; 2010-11-23 at 05:57 PM. Reason: One More Thing. x2

Read it over.
    I tried the Mac version, Needs Leopard. I have Tiger(10.4.11).
    I know the Windows one won't work, As I don't have Admin privs on the only Windows computer I can access.

edit: Limera1n needs Intel. Gods this computer is old.
    Last edited by Niffumerew; 2010-11-23 at 06:05 PM.

LOl ya man your a little out of luck then you can buy my mac in sig if you want tho then you will have no more problems

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Niffumerew (2010-11-23)

Gods, I'd love to.
    But I can't. :/

I guess I'll go with restoring my Touch and just wait for a new exploit.
    Cause it's still a very nice device even without the bonuses from Jailbreaking.

Course, I say "Nice" in comparison to my 2nd Gen Shuffle.
    That skips. I don't know how music skips on it, But it does.

So, Well. Thanks for the help everyone. I'll click the little "Thanks" buttons where appropriate.

On the note of updating, iTunes wants to give it 4.1. Whatever, As long as it's usable.

edit: On a really side note, This computer makes the nastiest clicks you've likely ever heard on startup.
    Not when running though. Luckily I'll probably be replacing sometime next month. Sadly not with a Mac.
    Last edited by Niffumerew; 2010-11-23 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Nasty nasty clicking.

Id take 4.1 then lol