Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: greenpois0n RC4 fails IOS 4.1 jailbreak on Touch 2G MB

Unhappy greenpois0n RC4 fails IOS 4.1 jailbreak on Touch 2G MB
    I've got two iPod Touchs, a newer 3G version, and an older iPod Touch 2G, model MB553LL

With the RC4 release of greenpois0n I saw that now the Touch 2G, MC and MB models for IOS 4.1 were supported (posts from Oct 18)... downloaded greenpois0n RC4 from greenpois0n - Mmmm...pois0n

I sucessfully upgraded to IOS 4.1 on both 3G and 2G touches, and jailbroke the 3G using greenpois0n RC4 no problem (indicates I can perform jailbreak successfully).

Problem Touch details:

Model: MB553LL
    Capacity: 32 GB
    IOS Version: 4.1 (8B117)

I then tried the exact same process on the 2G, MB model Touch. I entered DFU successfully, started Jailbreak, and after a VERY long wait got a Jailbreak failed message. iPod touch was left unbootable (in same state as when new), had to restore from iTunes.

Tried again on the newly restored Touch 2G MB model. Same result, except that this time the Touch wouldn't even respond to buttons, luckily entering DFU mode while connected to iTunes started a restore.

Not sure how to feedback to Chronic Dev team that greenpois0n
    RC4 apparently doesn't support all iPod Touch 2G MB models?

I looked at redsn0w 0.96.b2 as a possible alternative jailbreak method since it seems greenpois0n RC4 isn't working on iPod Touch 2G MB model, but it specifically warns that redsn0w 0.96.b2 DOESN'T support iPod Touch 2G MC and MB models.

I don't have a Mac, only Windows PCs to jailbreak from.

Help / Suggestions?

Thanks in Advance!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Restore to custom firmware created by Pwnage tools, you can get a custom copy from the net. Use Redsn0w 0.9.6b2 to put you into DFU mode and then restore to Custom firmware.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

jkoopman (2010-11-09), rwaddell (2010-11-09)

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

If you can find westonben and ask him nicely to send you the 4.1 custom fw, I'm sure he will do it he's helped many MMi members this way.

I don't trust the other custom fw's floating around the web, that's why I say. Westonben will give you a good custom fw.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

jkoopman (2010-11-09)

Turns out I was able to jailbreak this Touch 2G MB using redsn0w 0.9.6.b2
    using a firmware download from iPod, iPhone and iPad Firmware Download

Problem resolved thanks for the help...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jkoopman For This Useful Post:

jay2020 (2010-11-12)

Quote Originally Posted by jkoopman View Post
    Turns out I was able to jailbreak this Touch 2G MB using redsn0w 0.9.6.b2
    using a firmware download from iPod, iPhone and iPad Firmware Download

Problem resolved thanks for the help...
    jkoopman,

Thanks and really appreciate your sharing. I was also able to jailbreak my Ipod Touch 2G using redsn0w 0.9.6.b2 and the firmware from your link.

Before seeing your post, I spent a few days trying to jailbreak with sn0wbreeze-V2.0.2 and greenpois0n rc4, but was unsuccessful.

Thank you

Hey just thought i would let you know that on the Chronic Dev Blog there is a post about the Greenpois0n initial release and in the post it says that

This release of greenpois0n supports:
    - iPhone 4
    - iPhone 3G S
    - iPod touch (4th Generation)
    - iPod touch (3rd Generation)
    - iPad

Soon there will be another release, adding things like support for:
    - Apple TV (2nd Generation)
    - iPod touch (2nd Generation)

And thanks for posting the firmware download link, i just jailbroke my ipod touch 2g 4.1 using redsn0w 0.9.6.b2 and i worked perfectly.

Thanks

Default Announcements for greenpois0n RC4 it2g support
    Here's some links to postings that made me believe greenpois0n RC4 supported the iTouch 2G MB model. My experience was that it doesn't work on the iTouch 2G MB (did work on an iTouch 3G)...

Download: greenpois0n RC4 iOS 4.1 jailbreak (now supports iTouch 2G) [Windows / Mac] | iPhone World

Greenpois0n RC4 released Supports iPod Touch 2G, MC and MB (both untethered) | Daily iPhone Blog

Breaking: greenpois0n RC4 released, adds support for iPod touch 2G | MAGGadget

Not sure what happened but my experience was that greenpois0n RC4 cannot successfully jailbreak an iPod Touch 2G MB model.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

ya greenpoison has been updated to work on iPod touch 2G, not sure of the success rate though (didn't work for you guys). I myself havent tried it on a itouch 2G but have tried it a few times on the other newer device and have found it to be not very reliable in jailbreaking, it seems to fail a lot. Maybe it is just my setup.

x98car i think you might be right about it being supported but not being very reliable. it didnt work for me and from what i have read it hasnt worked for most people on ipod touch 2g. Redsn0w is the way to go worked perfectly on first try.

Had same problem JBing my mates iPod touch 2g MB, At last i used snowbreeze 2.1, and now i think it was better cause he likes new boot logos etc.
    iLike iDevices and Pancakes.