Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Upgrading 1G OSv2.2 to 3.1.x using redsn0w

Default Upgrading 1G OSv2.2 to 3.1.x using redsn0w
    Hey guys, I could use some help!

I got my 1G iTouch in the Fall of '07, have jailbroken it a few times, and stopped with OS version 2.2 -- since then, I had lost my device for a bit, and have just found it again, and would like to upgrade it to the latest (possible) firmware -- which the guide here said is 3.1.x using redsn0w (redsn0w guide says 3.1.2 is the limit).

-----

I have already downloaded:

* redsn0w_win_0.9.6b2
    * iPod1,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw
    * iPod1,1_3.1.2_7D11_Restore.ipsw

-----

My laptop, used for previous jailbreaks, has died. So I will be doing this on my desktop, which currently does not have iTunes installed. Is there a specific version of iTunes that I need to use with this?

-----

I would greatly appreciate any advice / assistance / or a procedure of how to go about upgrading my device to the latest possible firmware. Even if I were to just "wipe it" and start over, I feel that I wouldn't be able to run certain apps due to the older OS and am required to upgrade.

Thanks for your time and patience!

Thanks

using redsn0w is pretty simple, just follow the on-screen instructions, as for the itunes the version you should be able to use the latest version

3. The Following User Says Thank You to j3st3r For This Useful Post:

fofo412 (2010-11-03)

OK, I tried running through with redsn0w and it told me that my current OS was not detected as 3.0 -- do I need to do the restore with my hacked firmware, then run redsn0w?

Also, what is the button to hold while I click restore? Sorry, but this has been a while. . .

I am installing iTunes 10 now. . .

Thanks

when you say hacked firmware do you mean custom ipsw, just download an official ipsw file for 3.1.2 and shift+restore (pc) or option+restore (mac) in itunes and once the restore is complete run this version of redsn0w to jailbreak

6. The Following User Says Thank You to j3st3r For This Useful Post:

fofo412 (2010-11-03)

Thanks, I got it installed and working!

Thanks

good deal

Quote Originally Posted by j3st3r View Post
    when you say hacked firmware do you mean custom ipsw, just download an official ipsw file for 3.1.2 and shift+restore (pc) or option+restore (mac) in itunes and once the restore is complete run this version of redsn0w to jailbreak
    Hey, I am back at this same spot -- I can't find my saved version of this redsn0w, but have the firmware and need to jailbreak again...

Does anyone know which version of redsn0w I need to use?

THANKS!!

Thanks

redsn0w 0.9.4 will work

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Isn't BlackRa1n like a million times easier than redsn0w?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Blackra1n isn't quite as reliable or stable and can be buggy compared to redsn0w. It also only works on 3.1.2.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    But he's trying to use 3.1.2 so what is the problem? I used blackra1n when that firmware came out a million years ago and I never had any problems with the jailbreak.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

It would be beneficial to go to 3.1.3, but there isn't a problem with going to 3.1.2. However, I wouldn't use blackra1n if redsn0w is perfectly functional.

Back then blackra1n was fine, today redsn0w is still more reliable and stable, especially with the new Cydia update that would be initialized after jb.

There's nothing "wrong" with blackra1n, but with the amount of time I spend here I see a lot of bugs for people with blackra1n more than I see if any with redsn0w. You're free to use whatever jb you want, I'm just recommending in my experiences what I have seen to be the most stable and reliable jb for a particular device.

Thank you for your input.

Have you tried Spirit? I think that also works.