Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPod Touch 32GB FW 2.2.1 (5H11a)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Red face iPod Touch 32GB FW 2.2.1 (5H11a)
    Hey all ,Im pretty sure that the above mentioned iPod is a 2nd GEN iPod but im a little confused how to update it to 4.0 to use the JailbreakMe website. I'v downloaded the FW iPod2,1_4.0_8A293_Restore.ipsw but when I click on it,it just opens iTunes with a msg saying that there is a newer 4.1 update.

How do I update my iPod to 4.0 so I can use the jailbreakme website?
    How reliable is 4.0 jailbreak?
    Anyone having probs when using that site to jailbreak their iPods?
    Is there another/better way to jailbreak this model (2nd GEN 32GB FW:2.2.1 (5H11a) MB533LL)?

TiA
    Last edited by iGoTiT4FrEe; 2010-10-09 at 11:03 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    130+ views and not one reply?

Can I just upgrade to 4.0 using iTunes with the shift key when i click restore (so I can select the 4.0 OS)? or does it have to be updated to the latest 4.1?

Also I Have just scored a second iPT 2G 2.2.1 (same model as my virgin) but Im told that this has been jailbroken once before but restored to original with itunes.

Do I have to prepair the second ipod before hand or do anything special before attempting a jailbreak on it(as its been broken once before) or is it good to just go ahead and jailbreak it like a virgin model?
    Last edited by iGoTiT4FrEe; 2010-10-12 at 03:01 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    wow 200 views and not one single reply ,way to go guys thanks for all the help =\

Quote Originally Posted by iGoTiT4FrEe View Post
    wow 200 views and not one single reply ,way to go guys thanks for all the help =\
    You need shsh's to go to 4.0. If they are 3rd gen, use limera1n. It works on 4.1 settings>general>about will say mb or mc. There are plenty of options for mb, not so much for mc

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rackstar View Post
    You need shsh's to go to 4.0. If they are 3rd gen, use limera1n. It works on 4.1 settings>general>about will say mb or mc. There are plenty of options for mb, not so much for mc
    I have no idea what SHSH files are but i managed after over a week of googling ,update my iPod from 2.2.1 - 3.0 then to 4.0 :P

Just incase anyone else wanted to try here is what I did.

iPod Touch 2G 2.2.1(5H11a) to 3.0(7A341) MB model:

Download iTunes 8.2, ((if you have a newer version,make sure you uninstall ALL of iTunes services first)) LiNK4iTunes.
    Open itunes and connect your iPod Touch 2G (make sure you backup the iPod before attempting this).
    Click on your iPod in iTunes and while holding the shift key down,click restore in iTunes.
    A box will pop up asking you to select the firmware so select iPod2,1_3.0_7A341_Restore (Google it) and OK.
    Itunes will now do its thing and upgrade the iPod to 3.0 as easy as that.

Redsn0w_win_08 (redsn0w-win_0.8.zip)

Jailbroke it on 3.0 using redsn0w-win_0.8 (not sure if this helped but this is what I did)

Updating from 3.0 - 4.0:

Download iTunes 9.2.0.61 and install it.

www dot iphonexpert dot com/how-to-download-ios4-iphone-ipod-touch-gm-firmware-itunes-9-2-beta/#idc-cover (iTunes 9.2.0.61)

Open iTunes and connect your iPod.
    Click on your iPod in iTunes and on the restore/upgrade page,click on UPDATE.
    A box will pop up asking you to confirm the update to the latest iTunes and firmware(iTunes10 and OS4.1),CLICK CANCEL!!!!
    Now hold the shift key and click on restore,select the 4.0 firmware and iTunes should now do its thing and you should end up on 4.0 once it's finished.
    Now please keep in mind I read many many tuts and none worked for me so I cant say this will work 100% for anyone else.Maybe I got lucky who knows but this is what I did and I'm now on 4.0.

NOW my problem is that Redsn0w 0.9.6b1 just locks up on the "waiting for reboot" screen and my iPod goes black. The only way I can get my iPod to fire back up is to hold the power and home button till the apple logo appears,then i just leave it and it usually fires back up fine.

I'v tried running redsn0w as is,also in compat mode (XP SP3) and ran it as Admin but nothing seems to get passed the "waiting for reboot" screen.
    Is there another way to jailbreak it so I can get multitasking and home wallpaper etc? I used jailbreakme.com but I only had cydia and im still getting used to all this so I'v restored it back to 4.0 for now

Well after many failed attempts I finally got this iPod to 4.0 fully jailbroken with Redsn0w 9.6b1.It seems it is VERY picky about when you release the Home button when it tells you.I found that as soon as my screen went white,I released the Home button and it didnt stall on the reboot screen so im all good to go
    Last edited by iGoTiT4FrEe; 2010-10-17 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost