Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Successful 3G MC model Downgrade

Cool Successful 3G MC model Downgrade
    I just sucessfully downgraded my 3G MC model Touch from 4.1 to 4.0, and I'm sure you'll be able to do this going to 3.1.3 (though I haven't tested it). I have never saved my SHSH before this method.

NOTE: You will need the capabilities of having access to two PC's

1.) download the 4.0 Firmware and save it somewhere obvious (desktop)

2.) I did a completely new OS install on another laptop of mine keeping it simple I used XP, Installed the latest iTunes all the while not having my iPod connected. (But if u know of a PC that has never connected an iPod or iTunes then use that)

3.) I'm not sure if this mattered but I didn't take a chance. Copy tinyumbrella, the 4.0 firmware you should have downloaded, and a HOST file with the gs.apple.com address you see everywhere on this method.

4.) put the host file in it's correct location windows\system32\drivers\etc overwrite when asked.

5.) Now put your iPod in Recovery mode. When iTunes asks you to restore hold 'Shift' the click the 'Restore' button.

6.) Go find the 4.0 Firmware and select it.

7.) Your done!!!

This has worked for me twice now.
    Last edited by mosadious; 2010-09-24 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Forgot the SHSH thing.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

This is assuming you have the SHSHs saved for 4.0.

I have never saved my SHSH!!!! until I finished the downgrade.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Unfortunately, there have been many others stating the same only to find somehow their devices had SHSHs saved. The SHSHs are needed to downgrade. Your steps involved pointing at Saurik's server which means it needed to pull SHSHs from there. Whether you realized it or not, the SHSHs are there.

I have an iP4 with 4.0.2 and no SHSHs saved. I've tested this by seeing if I had them via TinyUmbrella and I did not. My downgrade attempts failed. This proves SHSHs are really needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    Unfortunately, there have been many others stating the same only to find somehow their devices had SHSHs saved. The SHSHs are needed to downgrade. Your steps involved pointing at Saurik's server which means it needed to pull SHSHs from there. Whether you realized it or not, the SHSHs are there.

I have an iP4 with 4.0.2 and no SHSHs saved. I've tested this by seeing if I had them via TinyUmbrella and I did not. My downgrade attempts failed. This proves SHSHs are really needed.
    I understand what you are saying, but I have never, ever saved my SHSH, nor have I even tried to jailbreak my iPod until after the 4.1 release I never felt the need to jailbreak until now. Believe me I never saved mine I had no reason to before now. Maybe that's why mine worked since I had no SHSH saved on the saurik server.

Take it FWIW, but mine and a friends both worked with this method, I wouldn't have posted if I didn't have success.

Your test, was it on a fresh,clean, OS install? Applications tend to store cache files on your PC, hence why I wiped my test rig (laptop) to try this method.

I'm only trying to give people options is all, I never guarenteed this work, sorry yours didn't work out.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Of course I'm not undermining your experience(s). Im just stating a general rule of what needs to be available for this to succeed. This would confuse a lot of people who don't know what they're doing. Congrats on your success.

Thanks
    I don't get it... Do i restore my ipod on the never before used computer? And where do i find the host files?

you forgot to Explain how to Use the TinyUmbrella on your method man. seems confusing. at first i wanna try it but it bothers me to do so..