Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPod 3G 3.1.1 Options

Default iPod 3G 3.1.1 Options
    I have an iPod Touch 3G 32gb running 3.1.1. It has been jailbroken with Blackra1n. I never saved my 3.1.1 SHSH blobs. On the main Cydia screen it displays a message that my device has SHSHs on file for 4.0. As this is a tethered jailbreak, what are my options for upgrading/getting an untethered jailbreak?

I never upgraded/downgraded this device. Now I am trying to upgrade to 3.1.2 (or 3.1.3), but obviously cannot as those versions are no longer signed.

Now that version 4.0.2 is available via iTunes, I'm assuming I can simply upgrade to that, but will lose my jailbreaking ability. If I choose to go to that version, or download 4.0 (assuming that will work due to my SHSHs being backed up in Cydia), is there any way to go back to my current version of 3.1.1 if I choose to do so? In other words, can I fully backup my current 3.1.1 version prior to an upgrade attempt, and then restore later without SHSHs on file?

Is it even worth considering going to a jailbroken 4.0 version? 3.1.1 works fine, but it is tethered.

Sorry if I asked all the same questions that have been asked a gazillion times. Google searching has been killing me!

Wow...151 views and no responses! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Personally, I would just stay at your 3.1.1 because in case something goes wrong when trying to downgrade back down to 3.1.x then you're going to be bumming. But if you honestly want to check it out, you can download umbrella and save your shsh from your current f/w and then double check to make sure you have them saved. After that you can simple google iPod firmware and the first selection will give you your desired firmware. And yes you can jailbreak easily on 4.0 but NOT 4.0.1/4.0.2. Just simply go to safari and lookup jailbreakme.com. But also keep in mind there are quite a few things on Cydia that aren't compatible with 4.0. To see these just go go google and type in cydia 4.0 compatibility. And if you want to downgrade back, there are 1001 videos on how to do it.

Unfortunately, even with Umbrella, I am unable to save my shsh from my current f/w (3.1.1), since Cydia does not have it on file. I can understand how I cannot go to another f/w without a saved shsh, but since I have never upgraded my device since I bought it, I'm surprised I cannot save something. Couldn't I at least do a backup of the device, possibly using something outside of iTunes? Then I could restore later using that backup, rather than the generic unsigned ipsw for that firmware. I was able to save shsh's for versions 4.0 and 4.0.2, though. But if I upgrade to one of those versions, and decide to go back to 3.1.1 later, apparently I won't be able to without the shsh.