Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 4.0 beta + DFU

Default 4.0 beta + DFU
    I have an iPod touch 2g / 8GB. If I update / restore to the 4.0 beta without the UDID restriction and it stays at the iTunes screen not letting me sync, will DFU let me go back to 3.1.3? (I had to de-jailbreak because of a broken dpkg database.)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Wow I'm confused. What is a UDID restriction? If that translates to you don't have your UDID registered to a dev account then you won't be able to use 4.0 beta.

Well, I'm hopefully going to get a dev account (fingers crossed). But iH8sn0w posted a video whereby:

<key>ReleaseType</key>

<string>Beta</string>

are removed from SystemVersion.plist making iTunes able to restore the IPSW, thus removing that restriction. It's king of similar to the trick used to get OS X client running in VMWare, but that's touching a new file.

While I think about it, say for example there was a problem with a dev account and you forgot to register the UDID, would you be able to use DFU to restore?

offtopic- wow, 5th post! somehow I think I'm better established in other forums, but mention of this probably would get me another warning on BA =(

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Yes you can DFU restore back to 3.1.3

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

neonsonicboy (2010-04-12), wo0ts (2010-04-13)

Thanks. I was being cautious because many have been calling them iBricks and saying that you're basically done for if it doesn't go to plan.

i did the same thing you did (the editing of the .plist file). are you saying that it never worked for you? i did it and when i option+restore to 4.0 it takes forever ans gives me a 2005 error message, it does the same when i try downgrading to 3.1.3

EDIT:
    im now getting the error number 14
    Last edited by wo0ts; 2010-04-13 at 02:57 AM.

Xcode's restore seems to be working for me...