Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Optimum Firmware Version?

Default Optimum Firmware Version?
    Just a quick question:
    I'm currently running 3.0 (jailbroken) on my iPod 2G. Should I figure out how to upgrade and do that or just stay where I am now? I know a buddy of mine had to downgrade to 3.0 on his iPhone to use tethering; I don't know if upgrading on my iPod would be more beneficial or similarly unhelpful.

(Also, is my SpringBoard supposed to crash occasionally? It does this sometimes when launching apps between entering the LockDown code and the app actually opening... and my icons get all mixed up and I have to reorder them. )

Upgrading isn't hard, just press 'Upgrade' in iTunes. Whether or not you upgrade is dependent on you, but the minor version updates are merely bug fixes and a few tweaks, unless you want said fixes, it's OK to stick with 3.0.

As for your problem: what do you mean by "crash"? Does it merely go back to your SpringBoard when you try to start a program? Does it respring? Do you have this problem when you don't use LockDown?

Well, by "figure out how," I meant without losing my current jailbreak. And I was also wondering if there's a good reason to upgrade (and I cited an example of why an iPhone user might not want to, though I'm using a Touch).

By "crash," I mean it brings up a screen warning me that SpringBoard crashed and that mobile substrate prevented any serious loss. I click the "Restart SpringBoard" button, and it reboots (but my icons are all out of order, and with 4 pages, that's a real pain in the butt).

You cannot upgrade without losing your jailbreak status.

I've never seen such an error. Did there seem to be a catalyst for this? LockDown? Another app?

^^You've never seen this?

You are lucky. Lockdown does make this one happen for me, but only once after I enable it. Every time I restored my phone, I enabled Lockdown on some apps (Settings, SMS, etc), and the first time I open an app that is locked down, I put in the passcode, and it instantly crashes to safe mode. Once I get rebooted though, I have never gotten the crash again from Lockdown. Before the latest MobileSubstrate update, Cyntacts used to cause this too on 3.1.2. But it would *never* get out of safe mode. It would always just crash back to safe mode after every reboot.

OP...I feel your pain about having to reorder the apps every time. It sucks with 5 column springboard too, cuz not only does it randomly throw app icons around, it also leaves only the default 16 icons per page. So I just stopped using Lockdown.

Hi there,

On the same sort of theme.

I am running my 1st gen jailbroken touch on firmware 3.0 at present.

I would like to buy the Tomtom cradle to use the app but was wondering if anyone knows what firmaware I would need to be on to do this?

Thanks in advance for any help/guidance.

Kevo

Quote Originally Posted by homersolly View Post
    Hi there,

On the same sort of theme.

I am running my 1st gen jailbroken touch on firmware 3.0 at present.

I would like to buy the Tomtom cradle to use the app but was wondering if anyone knows what firmaware I would need to be on to do this?

Thanks in advance for any help/guidance.

Kevo
    Don't: the iPod doesn't have the hardware required, the iPhone does. Unless you have an iPhone (which can receive satellite signals, 3G and 3GS), don't buy it.