Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Upgrade to the new iPod

My iPhone is a Part of Me Frostbite's Avatar
    over the hill across the river and through the candy cane forest
    Thanks

Default Upgrade to the new iPod
    Hey everybody, I am planning on upgrading to the new ipod touch. However I am running into the problem of transferring all my jailbroken stuff. I have a 32 GB iPod touch, Theoretically you could run apt backup and retrieve the file, then put that file on the new iPod and run it. Same with Spring Back. But IDK where it puts those files? Anyone now or have other ideas?

-Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

You're jumping the gun a little bit here buddy. When the new iPod comes out it most likely will not be jailbreakble right away due to new hardware AND new software (most likely ships with 3.1). I'd hold off a while. If you remember it took months to jailbreak the second generation iPod Touch.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

Frostbite (2009-08-28)

My iPhone is a Part of Me Frostbite's Avatar
    over the hill across the river and through the candy cane forest
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    You're jumping the gun a little bit here buddy. When the new iPod comes out it most likely will not be jailbreakble right away due to new hardware AND new software (most likely ships with 3.1). I'd hold off a while. If you remember it took months to jailbreak the second generation iPod Touch.
    I agree with you that it will ship with 3.1, which is why you can not simply drag and drop the .app files and tell cydia/icy to install them. I have faith that it will be Jailbroken quicker than two months however, probably more close to the amount of time it took to jailbreak the 3G S, which also shipped with new hardware and firmware. And regardless it would be good to know where apt backup hides those files, I am a apple technition, I deal with JB iPods/iPhones a lot and its useful information.

Thanks

The reason the 3GS was jailbroken so quickly is because the exploit in the 2G touch was released too late for apple to change it in the 3GS.

Sorry to burst your bubble but the 3rd gen touch is going to take longer than that to jailbreak. It's just going to get harder and harder.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something