Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Ipod 1g 2.1 Firmware

Default Ipod 1g 2.1 Firmware
    Hi I have an ipod touch with firmware 2.1 that I have jailbroken. I am thinking of updating the firmware to 3.0. If I do this are there any real advantages and is there a way to save the apps I have downloaded from cydia to save time when I re-jailbreak the ipod.. Thanks

There is no way to save your data on these programs (unless they are stored elsewhere) once you restore, which is necessary for jailbreaking. You have to re-install the apps from Cydia once you've upgraded and have jailbroken. There is an that can do this automatically (AptBackup), but it cannot keep the data from these apps on your device. Now as for upgrading to 3.0 or higher: do it. The newer firmwares are jailbroken and offer much more to do than the lower firmware versions.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeckel For This Useful Post:

ceccam (2009-08-23)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeckel View Post
    There is no way to save your data on these programs (unless they are stored elsewhere) once you restore, which is necessary for jailbreaking. You have to re-install the apps from Cydia once you've upgraded and have jailbroken. There is an that can do this automatically (AptBackup), but it cannot keep the data from these apps on your device. Now as for upgrading to 3.0 or higher: do it. The newer firmwares are jailbroken and offer much more to do than the lower firmware versions.
    Actually, if you use Redsnow, you don't need to restore. If you just follow the instructions in redsnow, you'll end up with all of your apps and settings still intact.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to STx For This Useful Post:

ceccam (2009-08-23)

Thanks for the info. Do I have to install firmware 3.0 first and then jailbreak with redsnow or can I use redsnow to direct it to the 3.0 restore ipsw. I thought that if I updated firmware first I would un jailbreak the ipod and it would delete all my apps. Thanks again.

Well, upgrading deletes your apps, no matter what you do. In the older firmwares (1.1._ and some of the 2._s), that was one of the methods by which you could jailbreak (which meant you could upgrade and jailbreak at the same time, though it wasn't advisable). That can't be done now (by the methods available).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeckel For This Useful Post:

ceccam (2009-08-24)

Thanks a million for the info. Oh well, no big deal downloading the apps from cydia. Thanks again...

Hi, just wanted to say thanks again. Followed directions, ie downloaded firmware 3.o, installed it , jailbroke my ipod with redsnow and voila...had a lot of doubt about smthg going wrong. Now on to my iphone...
    Last edited by ceccam; 2009-08-24 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost