Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iTouch seems stuck, will not boot, shows 'connect-to-iTunes' screen

Default iTouch seems stuck, will not boot, shows 'connect-to-iTunes' screen
    my iTouch seems stuck, will not boot, shows 'connect to iTunes' screen

It is a nice 16G 1st gen iPod Touch, I've had for a couple of months,
    until recently I had 1.1.5 firmware, used it just for music, video clips;
    it worked OK, was fully recognized by iTunes, I usually fed it with
    ImTOO iPod Computer Transfer from my PC.

I know I've done sth wrong - attempted to jailbreak it (with winpwn2.0.0.4) to be
    able to view also PDF documents and probably did not complete the process properly,
    then I got confused, tried to get back and restore it only - all in all just
    screwed it up.

When I try to start the iPodTouch now, it just shows Apple logo and then
    "connect-to-iTunes" screen. That's it. When I launch iTunes then, it shows up
    as "iPod" [it used to show up as "LW's iPod"] and iTunes says "iTunes has detected an
    iPod in recovery mode.You must restore this iPod before it can be used with iTunes.".
    When I press "Restore", the iPod connects to update software server and offers me
    firmware 2.2.1 update, license agreement and starts downloading 242.8MB. Looks good,
    but it never finalizes - at the end there is always a message like: "There was a problem
    downloading the software for the iPod 'iPod'. The network connection timed out. Make sure
    your network settings are correct and your network connection is active, or try again later".

By the way, it also happens that the iPod closes down (it seems) and disappears from iTunes
    panel before the downloading is finished.

Sometimes when I start iTunes after switching iPod on, I get another message, sth like:
    "iTunes has detected an iPod, but could not identify it[...]".

Also I can actually start the iPod into what is called I guess the DFU mode [by holding and
    releasing the home & power buttons], but I am not sure if it holds, so to speak...

Altogether, I'm quite confused now. What can I do? Would be very obliged for a smart advise.
    Thanks a lot.

If iTunes is having trouble downloading the firmware, download it from somewhere else (this site has a link). Then, when you want to restore, Shift+Click 'Restore' and select the firmware you've downloaded.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeckel For This Useful Post:

AnnaAlpha (2009-07-02), austinwright (2010-12-24)

Default Thank you, we're back on track, I hope:-))
    Actually, you've made redo things over, step by step - and it's
    worked out well! My iTouch is alive again, I ended up with a new 2.0.1 firmware (the one I tried to install [2.2.1] was rejected)
    and I have a feeling now I'm track to 1. upgrade to 2.2 first and 2. jailbreak it next with quickpwn225-2(which I have just discovered); I also have downloaded Liberty+ to test and I'm quite impressed with its user friendly facilities: switching ipod modes restore-DFU and back with a mouse click; plus clear interface. I'll try to do it over the weekend, cause I had to lend my iPod out to a dear needy person in the family till then.
    Thanks a lot, Jeckel!

My iPod is a Part of Me bteamer's Avatar
    Thanks

Might as well download 3.0 of off the internet somewhere now, 2x is a tad outdated.
    Quote Originally Posted by bhz1 View Post
    LOL! DOesnt everyone know that only real women know how to handle a stick?
    Quote Originally Posted by ALL DAY View Post
    As long as Miguel can blow...he's straight.
    Quote Originally Posted by bhz1 View Post
    I dread that first dusting of the white stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    ready for a romp buddy? ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Default jailbroke 2.2.1 but am confused how to install ipa's now
    Quote Originally Posted by bteamer View Post
    Might as well download 3.0 of off the internet somewhere now, 2x is a tad outdated.
    Does 3.0 have any specific advantage over 2.2.1?
    For now I have managed to jailbreak the latter one and like so far. Looks and feels good with Cydia, Installer and a few new apps. Now I face a different challenge - how to install or modify the Mobileinstallation file to be able to install other ipa apps especially the one I need the most ImpactPDF reader...
    My problem is that I don't have a wireless access where I am.
    Thanks for your advice, anyway.

The advantage for 3.0 is more apps from the AppStore, landscape keyboard on more apps and cut, copy and paste. That's about it for the 1st Generation iPod Touch. 2.2.1 just has much more support for and more jailbroken apps.

I see, thanks a lot.
    But I guess I need a modified Mobileinstallation file in order to use any of these jailbroken apps, right? If I have the file already on the PC
    - is there a way to install it on the jailbroken iPod without using a wireless internet connection?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeckel View Post
    If iTunes is having trouble downloading the firmware, download it from somewhere else (this site has a link). Then, when you want to restore, Shift+Click 'Restore' and select the firmware you've downloaded.
    I have the same problem with my ipod, but can't find your link on this site.