Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: BSD root: md0, major 2, minor 0 with ziphone

Default BSD root: md0, major 2, minor 0 with ziphone
    Today I decided to rent a movie with iTunes on my jailbroken 1.1.3 iPod touch. I downloaded it fine but everytime I tried to move it to my iPod it said it could not do so because it could not connect to the iTunes store. Being the idiot that I am I figured it had to be because I hadn't updated to the the software (1.1.4) and I updated.

Consequently, I lost all my installer and all the programs I had installed. After realizing this, I downloaded ziPhone and tried the 3rd option on the GUI "Jailbreak iPod also supported". It started to run as it said it would: the screen went black and a bunch of text started scrolling down the screen till it stopped on one line and continually repeated: "BSD root: md0, major 2, minor 0". Now everytime I restart my iPod it does the same thing.

I hope I haven't done irreparable damage. Please help.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gsboehm View Post
    Today I decided to rent a movie with iTunes on my jailbroken 1.1.3 iPod touch. I downloaded it fine but everytime I tried to move it to my iPod it said it could not do so because it could not connect to the iTunes store. Being the idiot that I am I figured it had to be because I hadn't updated to the the software (1.1.4) and I updated.

Consequently, I lost all my installer and all the programs I had installed. After realizing this, I downloaded ziPhone and tried the 3rd option on the GUI "Jailbreak iPod also supported". It started to run as it said it would: the screen went black and a bunch of text started scrolling down the screen till it stopped on one line and continually repeated: "BSD root: md0, major 2, minor 0". Now everytime I restart my iPod it does the same thing.

I hope I haven't done irreparable damage. Please help.
    No you are fine, well kinda. Your ipod is fine but you will lose everything on it, since you'll have to do a restore now.

Same thing happened to me while i was trying to do it with a 32gb ipod touch. It seems ziphone isnt compatible with some versions yet and it seems to be hit or miss. I would follow this guide, it is pretty painless and easy to do. Guide is here

Also to get your ipod to stop the text scrolling you are going to have to put it in recovery mode

Forgot to mention this time dont update to 1.1.4 at least not yet stay at 1.1.3 by following the guide i posted.
    Last edited by .:MirrorminD:.; 2008-02-28 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Exclamation working 1.1.4 16gb ipod touch
    If you're getting a BSD error when trying to jailbreak your iPod Touch, complete the following to get your iPod working and jailbroken with 1.1.4 firmware. This was done on a mac and you'll need the 1.1.3 firmware update and ziphone

1. connect sync cable to 'broken' iPod
    2. open iTunes
    3. hold down sleep/wake and home buttons until screen is blank
    4. release sleep/wake button ONLY when screen is blank
    5. release home button when iPod appears in iTunes
    6. press option key + Restore button and select the 1.1.3 firmware file
    7. wait for restore to complete
    8. go through iPod setup wizard, uncheck automatically sync and click sync to synchronize nothing
    9. click on check for update and update the iPod to 1.1.4
    10. wait for update to complete
    11. click sync to sync nothing
    12. Eject iPod and close iTunes
    13. Disconnect sync cable from iPod
    14. hold down sleep/wake and slide to power off
    15. hold down home button and connect sync cable
    16. release home button when iTunes logo appears on iPod display
    17. open ZiPhone
    18. select Jailbreak
    19. click Start
    20. wait for jailbreak to complete

Job done; fully working, jailbroken iPod Touch running 1.1.4

Things to do after:

1. connect to your wireless network
    2. open installer
    3. install BDS Subsystem under System
    4. install Open SSH under System
    5. add the source http://repo.ispazio.net
    6. install 1.1.3 / 4 iPod Full Features 2.1 under iSpazio Unlock Tool

Job done; fully working, jailbroken iPod Touch running 1.1.4 with Mail, Google Maps, Weather, Stocks, Notes.

Hope this helps

I tried riqo22's solution but it didn't work.

Exclamation Hey Riqo22... need more info
    I have a 16gb iPod Touch that I had previously jailbroken via jailbreakme.com when the firmware was 1.1.1. I used it for a long time that way with no problems, but the installer froze up on me after trying to add a bogus source address.

So I decided to go ahead and restore my iTouch to the new 1.1.4 version and downloaded the new features including the new maps and the ability to move the icons around at will. So far so good.

I tried following your instructions and did not succeed (I think it is because I was unable to downgrade to 1.1.3 software.

I downloaded the file to my desktop and unzipped it, but how do I get it to be recognized by iTunes to be able to restore to that version? I need you to fill in some info in the following steps to be able to try again:

6. press option key + Restore button and select the 1.1.3 firmware file
    7. wait for restore to complete
    8. go through iPod setup wizard, uncheck automatically sync and click sync to synchronize nothing
    9. click on check for update and update the iPod to 1.1.4

everything else is pretty straight forward, but I don't have enough info to get these steps done. Could you elaborate for me?

Thanks,

MrStuckless

iPhone? More like MyPhone screamo's Avatar
    Thanks

6. okay, if your using Windows, you hold shift rather than option
    8. When iTunes has you set up your iPod as a new pod or from a back up, select new than uncheck the box that says "automatically sync songs" or something like that.
    9. selfexplanitory

my problem is is that iTunes won't let me select the 1.1.1 firmware for restoring. It gives me an error message (1) and kicks my iPod out of iTunes. Can this be solved? ...without waiting too long...like...until further notice?
    Last edited by screamo; 2008-03-03 at 10:13 AM.

For the people that have the problem with "BSD root : md0, major 2, minor 0," there is an silly but easy way to fix it.

In ZiPhone (2.5c is the latest version as of now), try clicking the jailbreak button more than one time. The way to do it is click continuously until the process (shown in verbose mode on your iPod screen) is past the part where you experienced the BSD root problem.

Oh, one thing to be sure of doing as the iPod restarts after the jailbreak is finished. Close ZiPhone before the iPod actually finishes rebooting, or else it will boot into recovery mode in preparation to start the process all over again. This is due to the mass pressing of the Jailbreak button in the beginning.

I am dead serious. This worked for me when I got pissed at my friend's iPod Touch when I was helping him with it. It happened to work.

Hopefully, this helps a lot of people that are "stuck" with 1.1.3 or worse.
    Last edited by Dark_Halo; 2008-03-18 at 05:51 AM.

Happened here too and was fixed by a quick restore. lesson learned: Always perform a back up before doing any modding.

hey man restore your itouch to 1.1.4
    and download the new version of ziphone it is version 2.6b
    extract it to your desktop and then click on the gui file..
    mines got stuck on spamming AT so turn touch off and put it into restore mode bring up ziphone gui and click on advanced settings and the click on normal mode and click on the button that says fix nvram and then hit the ipod touch logo dont touch nething it will restart when it is done... just figured it out/.... and it works

That's nothing.... All you have to do is have ZiPhone 2.6 running twice at the same time...then click on Jailbreak on both applications at the same time (or as close as possible). Works 99% of the time for me. I tried it on iphones and ipod touches from 8GB's to 32GB's. Works best if you put the phone in recovery mode first, but it is not necessary.

so... jail break twice and you dont get any errors listed above?

Do this.
    1) Restore to 1.1.4 (no need to put in restore mode or whatever.)
    2) YES, really restore. DO not go on until you have.
    3) Download the new ziPhone.
    4) CLick jailbreak.

If you do not resotre you will egt the spamming AT error.

Default How do I restore
    How do I get I tunes to recognize my Ipod if it only gets to:
    BSD root: md0, major 2, minor 0

Quote Originally Posted by sparksRR View Post
    How do I get I tunes to recognize my Ipod if it only gets to:
    BSD root: md0, major 2, minor 0
    Simply hard reset into recovery mode (hold the sleep and Home button simultaneously until the text goes away, then keep holding the Home button for about 10 seconds or more). After that, iTunes will recognize your iPhone.

I love how you posted a question 2 months after the previous post.

Hold down Menu and Power until the screen goes blank.
    Hold down menu as you connect to a power source (computer, wall charger etc) Then, if not already, connect to computer.
    I am Olim. We are Olim. And we just did this- together!