Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Problem] Whenever i put my ipod in DFU mode, itunes kicks it back to recovery

Default [Problem] Whenever i put my ipod in DFU mode, itunes kicks it back to recovery
    Ive been trying to use winpwn for the last couple of days. I can build the ipsw, pwn itunes, etc, etc. BUT, whenever i put my ipod in dfu mode, itunes shows a progress bar saying "waiting for ipod", and after about 10 seconds i get the recovery mode screen (after that, if i try to restore i get error 1604).
    Believe me, im pretty much sure the ipod went dfu, i used a clock to count the number of seconds, i also tried the "windows sounds" technique. In fact, i get the little windows bubble saying found new hardware and it clearly says DFU. Yet, itunes sets it back to recovery mode after the progress bar and a few usb beeping sounds.
    I tried different computers, different cables, different itunes versions, both xp and vista. Im really getting out of ideas, any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance
    Last edited by cajota; 2008-08-03 at 11:42 PM.

Does this happen after you shift->click the restore button and select the firmware or before you click anything?

Quote Originally Posted by xogen View Post
    Does this happen after you shift->click the restore button and select the firmware or before you click anything?
    as soon as my ipod enters dfu mode itunes detects it and after a "waiting for ipod" screen with a progress bar, my ipod exits dfu and enters recovery mode. After that i can do shift click or whatever i want, but it wont do the trick since i need to do a restore with dfu, not recovery

Start with iTunes open, ipod on and plugged in.(will work with ipod off as well) Hold the power and home button down for 10 seconds and then release the power button and keep holding the home button until itunes says "iTunes must check the iPod software server to identify this device." and click "Check". It will then say "iTunes has detected an iPod in recovery mode and must restore this iPod before it can be used with iTunes". click "OK". Shift-> click restore and select your firmware. If these are the steps you're taking then I don't know how else to help you. sorry. If it's working and you are just getting the error then you have to uninstall iTunes and Apple Mobile Device Support and re-install iTunes.

EDIT: I had several errors when updating from 1.1.4 to 2.0. I had to re-install iTunes a couple times (i was using winpwn 2.0.0.2). Remember, don't use winpwn 2.x to pwn anything other than firmware 2.x.
    Last edited by xogen; 2008-08-04 at 01:57 AM.

Start with iTunes open, ipod on and plugged in.(will work with ipod off as well) Hold the power and home button down for 10 seconds and then release the power button and keep holding the home button until itunes says "iTunes must check the iPod software server to identify this device." and click "Check". It will then say "iTunes has detected an iPod in recovery mode and must restore this iPod before it can be used with iTunes". click "OK". Shift-> click restore and select your firmware. If these are the steps you're taking then I don't know how else to help you. sorry. If it's working and you are just getting the error then you have to uninstall iTunes and Apple Mobile Device Support and re-install iTunes.

EDIT: I had several errors when updating from 1.1.4 to 2.0. I had to re-install iTunes a couple times (i was using winpwn 2.0.0.2). Remember, don't use winpwn 2.x to pwn anything other than firmware 2.x.
    Instead of getting "iTunes must check the iPod software server to identify this device" i get "waiting for ipod" and the screen turns on completley blank.
    I keep hearing constant usb beeps like plugging and unplugging something, then when it stops i see the recovery mode image and itunes says "iTunes has detected an iPod in recovery mode and must ... blah blah".
    In fact, i did the whole thing with iliberty open once, and on the bottom right corner you can clearly read "DFU". After the beeping sounds, "Recovery".
    I tried to unisntall itunes, apple device support, manually delete itunes folder and application data folder. Always same result.
    In fact, i tried another machine, both win xp and vista partitions, both 7.7.1 and 7.6.5 did the same.

man I'm having the same Issues
    ... And I keep getting errors ranging from 1601-1604... Annoying as hell... My next move is to try on a mac....

Which firmware does the ipod have on it right now?

1.1.4 jailbroken with iliberty, trying to upgrade to 2.0 with winpwn

I also had problems upgrading to 2.0 with 1.1.4 jailbroken with iliberty. I had to upgrade to normal 2.0 before flashing with custom winpwn firmware. should be able to shift->click restore without being in dfu and itunes will upgrade.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to xogen For This Useful Post:

cajota (2008-08-04)

I also had problems upgrading to 2.0 with 1.1.4 jailbroken with iliberty. I had to upgrade to normal 2.0 before flashing with custom winpwn firmware. should be able to shift->click restore without being in dfu and itunes will upgrade.
    Did you get the 1604-01 errors beacause of the recovery mode thing? In that case maybe I should give it a try, but it's kinda risky since i wouldn't be able to go back to jailbroken 1.1.4 if it doesn't work, since i'd need dfu to downgrade.
    Anyways, thx fot the tip .
    Maybe if more people could confirm this i'd feel a little more reassured about upgrading to normal 2.0. Anyone?

My full story...I tried to go straight from 1.1.4 to winpwned 2.0, didn't work, kept getting error 1601 (even after pwning itunes) so I clicked restore on itunes. since I had already tried to flash with 2.0 firmware, itunes thought that that is what I needed so it downloaded (for free from apple) firware 2.0. That installed and then I used _that_ firmware to create a custom firmware with winpwn and flashed that on it and everything was tits from there.

Quote Originally Posted by cajota View Post
    Did you get the 1604-01 errors beacause of the recovery mode thing? In that case maybe I should give it a try, but it's kinda risky since i wouldn't be able to go back to jailbroken 1.1.4 if it doesn't work, since i'd need dfu to downgrade.
    Anyways, thx fot the tip .
    Maybe if more people could confirm this i'd feel a little more reassured about upgrading to normal 2.0. Anyone?
    I am having the EXACT SAME PROBLEM as you. As we speak, I am trying what oxygen said. Please let me know if you get it to work so I can as well.

My full story...I tried to go straight from 1.1.4 to winpwned 2.0, didn't work, kept getting error 1601 (even after pwning itunes) so I clicked restore on itunes. since I had already tried to flash with 2.0 firmware, itunes thought that that is what I needed so it downloaded (for free from apple) firware 2.0. That installed and then I used _that_ firmware to create a custom firmware with winpwn and flashed that on it and everything was tits from there.
    Just tried that.
    Did not work. Official firmware gives 1604 Error.
    Anyone??
    And please... before you post... KNOW that all of us KNOW how to properly put phone into DFU and UNDERSTAND the difference between it and recovery.
    Read the posts to see what the problem really is.
    Last edited by Nyctobello; 2008-08-05 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Did you try to uninstall itunes and apple mobile device support and then reinstall itunes?

Ummm no luck using official 2.0 either? Damn... I was just about to try that =/

By the way, i just tried with a cmd prompt program called dfu.exe and Itunes didnt put it back to recovery! The only problem is after that, it recognized my ipod as an iphone and when i tried to shift+restore I got "error 5". This is getting even more weird :S

How does dfu.exe work? Where did you get it from?

http://www.sendspace.com/file/93fx93

in command prompt: dfu.exe iBSS.m68ap.RELEASE.dfu
    In my case, itunes detected it, and didnt set it back to recovery. But, again, it said iphone instead of ipod and got error (5).
    I had to shut it down with home+sleep and after reboot it was in recovery mode, then i got it out of recovery with ibrickr.
    Back to square 1! :P

That is not working for me either.
    Can you tell me the exact procedure you are following in regards to DFU?
    Do you have iTunes open?
    What state is your touch in?
    Mine is only detected by DFU.exe when I try and manually put the phone in DFU and then it crashes, both in XP and vista. iTunes then opens and kicks back into recovery mode.
    How did you get iTunes to ignore it?

are you actually seeing the ipod plug and itunes logo on your ipod?

are you actually seeing the ipod plug and itunes logo on your ipod?
    No, Black screen, as DFU screen should be.

Then I don't understand why you think it's in recovery and not dfu. You guys are confusing me. . . The problem is you can't flash the 2.0 firmware on because you can't get your ipod to stay in dfu but you say that the screen is black. That is dfu. Itunes sees it and says its found an ipod in recovery mode. If you get any errors after that you have to reinstall itunes. Thats all there is. . . no more options. The only other problem you may have is when you try to flash with a custom 2.0 firmware and haven't pwned itunes with winpwn. Am I missing anything?
    Last edited by xogen; 2008-08-05 at 06:38 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast