Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 37 of 37

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: [Problem] Whenever i put my ipod in DFU mode, itunes kicks it back to recovery

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by xogen View Post
    Then I don't understand why you think it's in recovery and not dfu. You guys are confusing me. . . The problem is you can't flash the 2.0 firmware on because you can't get your ipod to stay in dfu but you say that the screen is black. That is dfu. Itunes sees it and says its found an ipod in recovery mode. If you get any errors after that you have to reinstall itunes. Thats all there is. . . no more options. The only other problem you may have is when you try to flash with a custom 2.0 firmware and haven't pwned itunes with winpwn. Am I missing anything?
    When iPhone goes to DFU and the USB port is RECOGNIZED by the pc... iTunes opens. iTunes AUTOMATICALLY DISCONNECTS AND RECONNECTS the attached USB port (Via windows USB sounds this can be recognized), and when reconnected it is in recovery mode. The iPhone screen stays black but it IS in recovery mode.
    I have tries iTunes 7.4,7.5,7.6,7.7 with CLEAN installs.
    I have tried, XP, VISTA, OSX 10.5.3.

    I think I am going to hsort the battery... the phone may be on a loop.

  2. #22
    Interesting. That's the exact same thing that mine does (even now when I put it in dfu) and it flashes just fine. (though the first time I did it when going from 1.1.4 to 2.0 it didn't do anything and I got errors for hours. But I already explained how to fix that in an earlier post)

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by xogen View Post
    Interesting. That's the exact same thing that mine does (even now when I put it in dfu) and it flashes just fine. (though the first time I did it when going from 1.1.4 to 2.0 it didn't do anything and I got errors for hours. But I already explained how to fix that in an earlier post)
    I tried what you said... but I get an error 1604 (with it trying to install a legit copy for firmware freshly downloaded by iTunes) which is a symptom of the phone being in recovery mode.

  4. #24
    xogen, in my case, my screen is blank while itīs in dfu mode. After the beeping sounds and the progress bar, i get the connect to itunes logo meaning itīs in recovery mode. So yes, thatīs the problem, we can dfu the ipod but we canīt keep it that way.

    Nyctobello, dfu.exe "worked" for me just by running it with my ipod normally plugged in. I didnīt do anything special. But as I said the only reason why itunes couldnīt kick my ipod to recovery is because this time itīs recognized as an iphone and canīt do anything. In fact i have to hard reset it just to be able to boot normally. I donīt think thereīs much more we can do with it.
    Last edited by cajota; 2008-08-05 at 07:36 AM.

  5. #25
    Ok, I'll explain it this way. If you can put your ipod/iphone into dfu mode then your ipod/iphone is fine. If when you plug it in to iTunes it gets "kicked out" of dfu, then iTunes is to blame (or Apple Mobile Device Support) and needs to be reinstalled (both). If you need to find a computer that has never heard of itunes, use that. It is not your device. Your device is not kicking itself out.

  6. #26
    I have used 3 Different computers with 3 Different OS!

  7. #27
    cajota - uninstall itunes and apple mobile device support and reinstall itunes. that has to be your problem.

    Nyctobello - a 1604 error could be anything. Many people have had that error and have fixed it by doing everything from using a different usb port to reinstalling usb drivers to using a different usb cord.

    cajota - uninstall itunes and apple mobile device support and reinstall itunes. that has to be your problem.

    Nyctobello - a 1604 error could be anything. Many people have had that error and have fixed it by doing everything from using a different usb port to reinstalling usb drivers to using a different usb cord.
    Last edited by xogen; 2008-08-05 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by xogen View Post
    cajota - uninstall itunes and apple mobile device support and reinstall itunes. that has to be your problem.
    I've already done that. Plus, I tried with 3 different computers, one of those never had itunes installed before. I also tried different cables and both vista an xp. So far no luck

    Even more strange: I went to my friend's house and tried with his computer, where he dfu'ed his iphone and succesfully upgraded to ipwned 2.0. Needless to say it didn't work for me :P Same symptoms every time

    ummm I just tried to restore with the official 2.0 ipsw, at first I thought it was working fine, but in the middle of the restore process a pop up appeared saying there was an unknown usb device that malfunctioned. Then, itunes failed with error 1603.
    This happens just with 2.0, when I restore with a 1.1.4 ipsw everything works fine.
    Last edited by cajota; 2008-08-06 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  9. #29
    Let me ask you something, because I had a similar problem trying to get my Touch into DFU mode.

    When you do the button combination, and iTunes rerecognizes your Touch, does your computer play the USB In/Out sound, like, 3 times each?

  10. #30
    i have the same exact problem and i've been trying to resolve it for hours with no luck.

    so yeah i have been able to get into dfu mode cause i've checked everytime on the device manager so when that happens my itouch screen goes blank but it stays like that for about 3 seconds while itunes is trying to reach the itouch and then the usb in/out sound plays the sound like 3 times and kicks me back to recovery mode.

    does anyone know how to solve this issue or if by restoring the itouch to factory settings and trying to winpwn to 2.0.1 would work?

  11. #31
    I had exactly the same problem as Cajota. Dfu goes into recovery. I just did restore from the recovery mode to file IPod1,1_2.0_5A347_Restore.ipsw without using winpwn. I'm now at firmware 2.0 original without cydia or installer. Next step I will try to winpwn to custom 2.01.

  12. #32
    Me and my friend finally solved this issue.
    The solution as weird as it sounds is...
    go into BIOS and downgrade usb 2.0 to 1.1.
    No 1600 errors, fully functional.

  13. #33
    At first I wasnīt able to upgrade to a normal 2.0 firm. I just had to change my usb connector to the ones on the back of the computer instead of the front panel.
    After upgrading to 2.0 I was able to dfu normally and pwn it.

  14. #34
    hi all, i have been having the same trouble as everyone here, itunes seems to bump the iphone out of dfu and into restore, without asking. however i have found that the more you try, the more likely its going to work, the last 2 8g iphones have taken 3 restarts and 2 different usb ports to make them work, but eventualy they worked using winpwn 2.0.0.4 and dfu mode.
    i have no success with ipod touch at all though
    it goes into dfu no probs at all, but itunes wont let it stay there, just push's it straight back into recovery mode with cable logo.

    ??

    thanks , regards Tony

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyg_253 View Post
    hi all, i have been having the same trouble as everyone here, itunes seems to bump the iphone out of dfu and into restore, without asking. however i have found that the more you try, the more likely its going to work, the last 2 8g iphones have taken 3 restarts and 2 different usb ports to make them work, but eventualy they worked using winpwn 2.0.0.4 and dfu mode.
    i have no success with ipod touch at all though
    it goes into dfu no probs at all, but itunes wont let it stay there, just push's it straight back into recovery mode with cable logo.

    ??

    thanks , regards Tony
    Restore with the original apple 2.0.1 ipsw and you should be able to stay in dfu. Then, after that, you can use the custom ipsw. It worked with my ipod and a friend's iphone.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by cajota View Post
    Restore with the original apple 2.0.1 ipsw and you should be able to stay in dfu. Then, after that, you can use the custom ipsw. It worked with my ipod and a friend's iphone.
    Cajota is right. I had the very same problems everyone has stated here. The new iTunes 7.7 will auotomatically take you out of DFU mode and put your iPod Touch in recovery. It's Apple's way of ensuring everyone buys their iPod upgrade. But the thing is it doesn't quite work as well with USB 1.0 or 1.1. So if you have a computer with the USB 1 port, use that instead. I wouldn't recommend downgrading a USB 2 port to run on 1.1 drivers though - as that is bound to cause serious conflict problems. But hey, if it worked for some, then it worked!
    For iPod Touch users having problems upgrading to 2.0, then you will need to first restore your iPod to 1.1.5. Shame is that you will lose everything you've got on it. After this free iTunes upgrade, you'll then need to upgrade to 2.0x. Having done this, you shouldn't have problems staying in DFU mode and winpwning to 2.01 - using your Custom Restore file, and ensuring that you first pwn iTunes.

    There might be a fix released soon to prevent others going insane trying to pwn their iPods. WinPwn will be releasing its version 2.5 anytime soon which, hopefully, will do it all for you in one hit.

  17. #37
    try this

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    From the experience iīve got with this problem, i can say that it is a
    compatibility problem between the itunes version and the ipod firmware version.
    that may explain why a lot of people are not being able to
    STAY IN DFU mode and iTunes keeps
    kicking them out.


    you must upgrade ur ipod firmware into 2.2.1;

    if your device has 1.x.x firmware you must upgrade into 2.0 first.

    once you have the 2.0 firmware you can upgrade into 2.2.1(5H11 worked for me)

    google the 2.2.1 ipsw files (and 2.0 only if your device still has the 1.x.x) and download them

    put ipod in restore mode and restore into 2.2.1

    you may have to try with different 2.2.1 legit firmwares first

    youīll be able to stay in DFU mode if you have iTunes 8,

    if u want to pwn your ipod just use quickpwn and select the bundle youīve just restored with!


    Hope it works

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •