Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: updating existing jailbroken firmware question

Default updating existing jailbroken firmware question
    hello folks just had a simple question here....i currently own an 8gb ipod touch 1.1.3 jailbroken....now if i wanted to update to the more current 1.1.4 firmware will i have to do it from a restore and wipe out all my current applications and software? and after the update will the 1.1.4 be jailbroken or must jailbreak it again? my main concern is losing my apps and having to reinstall all of them....

any info is greatly appreciated...
    thanks

ed

Livin the iPhone Life seann33uk's Avatar
    Thanks

you could "backup" your apps by using SSH to your computer. then all you do is send them back a cross after you have updated/restored and unlocked
    Being an i can be a lot of pressure. you have to live right up to the small point.

wow....is it really that simple? Do any of those apps need any special installation instructions or do they just simply run out of its folder? Sorry im new to the world of macs

Thankz

Ed

Green Apple
    Thanks

I wouldn't recommend backing up the stock apple applications like safari and mail and all, also some applications may need other system files installed elsewhere. dont be surprised if half the programs dont work after you reinstall them from the backup
    Spam deleted

There is in app in Installer that will soft update your iPod touch to 1.1.4, or you could install a compatibility patch. But I would just back up my apps and jailbreak 1.1.4.
    Give credit where credit is due, press "thank you"
    When all else fails, put it into restore mode!!!
    Remember, Google is your best friend. And so is YouTube!!!
    http://modmyi.com/wiki/index.php/How...ty_or_iLbertyX Enjoy the guide.

Backup /Applications and /var/mobile/Media and /var/mobile/Library and all of your apps should work. However, don't back up Safari, Mail, and other things because they have other files in the System folder. 3rd party apps should work fine, except Cydia and apps that modify your system.

So most apps will work.
    I am Olim. We are Olim. And we just did this- together!

Also, check out TimeCapsule. It backs up your stuff (not apps though) and then you can email those backups to an email address. Pretty handy utility.
    Give credit where credit is due, press "thank you"
    When all else fails, put it into restore mode!!!
    Remember, Google is your best friend. And so is YouTube!!!
    http://modmyi.com/wiki/index.php/How...ty_or_iLbertyX Enjoy the guide.