Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Using WinSCP at university

Default Using WinSCP at university
    I am trying to connect (WinXP on jailbroken iPhone 1.1.2 with latest WinSCP 4.1 Build 375) at university but it seems that it always times out. I did check my IP address under the WiFi settings but nothing helps. I am thinking it could be something to do with the password (root/alpine) not being authenticated by the Uni network.

Has anyone else encountered this situation and successfully been able to connect? Or do I need to ask the uni techy people to "enable something"? I am not sure what I have to ask them to do but will see them this afternoon.

I live at uni so have no other way to connect with WinSCP. Hope someone can shed light on this and help. Thanks!

Make sure the iPhone and the computer are connected to the same WiFi.

Is there a way that I can check that? All I did was look at the IP address under the iPhone WiFi settings. I am connecting to the internet via ethernet on desktop PC and via uni WiFi for the iPhone.
    Thanks.

You need to get to a stand-alone PC with a WiFi card installed. Then connect both to the same WiFi. Or Use a buddies laptop which is connected to the same Wifi. I do not think there is another way.

Tried it on wife's laptop connecting to same network but it always time's out. I never get the request to accept the "thumbprint". I even tried port 21 but no joy. The uni techy guys added my iPhone as a trusted device. I will try a coffee shop for their network and see if I can get WinSCP to connect.
    By the way, I even tried iPhoneBrowser but can only see my photos. I can't add AFC2 'cause I can't connect. Is the ACP2 thing available through Installer?

Wow - somehow I have been able to connect. I watched a MMi video and it said to use password "dottie" for FW below 1.1.3. I got the thumbprint message and then it said wrong password so I tried "alpine" and it connected. Go figure eh!
    I have no idea why it connects as I never did anything different with all the settings I had.
    I will try a firmware update and see if I can get it all back again ;-)
    Last edited by IconBoy; 2008-04-23 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost