Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Dont Panic!!!

Default Dont Panic!!!
    Need a little help someone but trying not to panic.

I took a chance and tried to Jailbreak my iTouch and thanks to the guide it seemed relatively easy...that is till number 12 the last stage.

I followed instructions for the putfile bit and waited. It says should only take a minute but after 5 minutes and nothing happening I assumed it must be ok and tried to reboot. Now my Itouch is stuck with an Apple screen and my Terminal is showing:

putfile: Failed to open remote file: 11

What can I do now??? Help?

Default you still have terminal access?
    Quote Originally Posted by Artycarl View Post
    Need a little help someone but trying not to panic.

I took a chance and tried to Jailbreak my iTouch and thanks to the guide it seemed relatively easy...that is till number 12 the last stage.

I followed instructions for the putfile bit and waited. It says should only take a minute but after 5 minutes and nothing happening I assumed it must be ok and tried to reboot. Now my Itouch is stuck with an Apple screen and my Terminal is showing:

What can I do now??? Help?
    Sounds like a permissions issue, or you placed a file in the wrong directory. What jailbreak method were you using?

Can you type: ls -l /etc and see the assigned perms? Can you give a screencap?
    The Cake Is A LIE!

Hi and thanks for the reply.

I was using the Jailbreak method as posted in the Ipod Touch section and since I tried to reboot I no longer have Terminal access it keeps returning the same error.

If I reboot I just get the apple logo and after a short while the circular logo appears on top of that but it doesnt start at all and every 15 minutes or so the screen goes blank and starts again with the apple icon.

Sounds like you may need to restore. Where do you see the line about the putfile mentioned in your first post?
    The Cake Is A LIE!

The instructions went perfectly until number 12.

I entered the 'putfile' instructions into the Terminal:

putfile iphonefs/rdisk0s1.dmg /dev/rdisk0s1

and waited for something to happen. After 5 minutes with nothing I assumed it had finished doing what it should have and the next instruction was to reboot which I then tried. The ipod Touch hung at the start with the apple screen and the terminal then said:

I presume because I had rebooted before it had finished doing its thing.

How can I restore?

Restore sounds like a good option right now.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Artycarl For This Useful Post:

Gazoo (2007-10-11)

There should be a wiki on the procedure somewhere on the site. I have to scoot, but I'll check this thread throughout the day
    The Cake Is A LIE!

All sorted thanks for your help.

Restored and breathing and heartrate returning to normal.

I'll have a cuppa and try the Jailbreak again.

glad it worked out for you. Sorry I couldn't give more explicit instructions. I'm traveling and using my iPhone!!
    The Cake Is A LIE!