Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How do I update ios in iPod touch 3rd generation?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default How do I update ios in iPod touch 3rd generation?
    I just got an older iPod touch 3rd generation and it will not update the ios. What do I need to do so that I can download books and music from my computer? I am using a Windows 8.1 64 bit system on my computer. Everything I have tried doesn't work. I don't have a clue what I'm doing so really need someone to give me step by step directions This is the first iPod I've ever had and the way it is going it will be my last. Apple says I have to sign in to iTunes or the Apple store with an Apple computer and I don't have one and don't have access to one. Thanks everyone!

Install latest version of iTunes...connect the device to your PC, open iTunes, click on device, when iTunes recognizes it, click on summary tab and that hit update. It will be updated to the latest firmware Apple is signing for iPod Touch 3th....and that is 5.1.1.
    Last edited by bbrks; 2015-03-26 at 06:32 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bbrks For This Useful Post:

vXBaKeRXv (2015-03-27)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    OK did that but everything seems to need at least ios 7 or am I just not understanding what to do? I still can't download anything to iPod from my computer. Wanted just to load some old radio shows that I have on my computer and some audio books. Do I need to jailbreak my iPod?

No, there isn't much you can do...most of the apps are not supported anymore for such an old firmware. There are even some already not supporting IOS 7, so you can imagine what's the situation with 5.1.1. You can jailbreak it though and after that try to find older versions of apps you are interested in and install them with iFunBox, for example. But the whole procedure of doing it is kind of complicated, especially for rookies, as you say you are yourself

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bbrks For This Useful Post:

vXBaKeRXv (2015-03-27)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Is there just some simple way to just download the stuff I have on my computer to the iPod?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Sorry, I have some audio books and old time radio shows as well as some music.

Everything is done with iTunes. Take a bit of time and do a search how to transfer music to your device.
    First you need to check the box "manually manage music and videos" under summary tab in iTunes. The rest is basically drag and drop and sync.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bbrks For This Useful Post:

cmax49 (2015-03-27)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Thank you so much! I think I can do that soon as I find an Apple product to sign in on.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to cmax49 For This Useful Post:

vXBaKeRXv (2015-03-27)