Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Ipod touch photos

Default Ipod touch photos
    hey,
    im trying to get photos on my ipod touch but everytime i go into itunes and select "photos" tab itunes crashes on me. ive tried reinstalling itunes, putting the ipod touch into a different USB port and re-registering dll's (as the help on apple told me to) but the same problem occurs.

does anyone know how to fix this?
    thanks in advance

What version of iTunes are you running?

How many pictures are in your "my pictures" folder and what are your computers specs?

After it freezes just leave it alone (for up to 30 min) and see if it fixes itself, it could just be it's taking a long time to index all your photos.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RadicalxEdward For This Useful Post:

stealthfighter (2007-10-01)

hey,
    im using the latest version of itunes and my my pictures folder is pretty much empty, i dont think it will regain because its just an instant crash with that gay "dont send" error report box. any other suggestions besides downgrading / reinstalling the firmware (because i dont want to loose all of my songs :P )

(the error signature says: ModName: msvcrt.dll and Offset: 00036803) if thats any help.

oh and my CPU specs are:

AMD 5600+ X2
    2GB ram
    ATI HD2900XT
    320gb HDD

etc etc...

thanks

almost forgot, everytime i startup itunes it says

Windows system components that Itunes requires are missing or corrupt
    "itunes might be unable to launch or communicate with your ipod or iphone. For help repairing your operating system click more information"

ive followed the help file to repair it, reinstall itunes etc.. but no luck
    Last edited by stealthfighter; 2007-10-01 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by stealthfighter View Post
    hey,
    im using the latest version of itunes and my my pictures folder is pretty much empty, i dont think it will regain because its just an instant crash with that gay "dont send" error report box. any other suggestions besides downgrading / reinstalling the firmware (because i dont want to loose all of my songs :P )

(the error signature says: ModName: msvcrt.dll and Offset: 00036803) if thats any help.

oh and my CPU specs are:

AMD 5600+ X2
    2GB ram
    ATI HD2900XT
    320gb HDD

etc etc...

thanks
    Are you getting that from the system event viewer? If not, you may wanna check there for more info. right click on my computer and select manage, in the left hand pane select event viewer under system tools. I would check both the application and the system error logs for the iTunes crash and see what it says.

"itunes might be unable to launch or communicate with your ipod or iphone. For help repairing your operating system click more information"

ive followed the help file to repair it, reinstall itunes etc.. but no luck
    Sounds like it's more of a windows problem than an iTunes one. You might wanna try doing a "repair" install of windows, which should replace any missing or corrupt .dll files that shipped with the system.

Also, here's the Microsoft knowledge base article on that dll, maybe it will be of some assistance: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/192123
    Last edited by RadicalxEdward; 2007-10-01 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RadicalxEdward For This Useful Post:

stealthfighter (2007-10-01)

thanks,
    but dont you have to manually select the dll files your repairing under a windows XP install? unlike vista where it automatically detects.

ive been needing to re-install XP for a few months now but i dont want to loose all my ipod touch music and all of that when going into a new itunes

Well, since you know the name of atleast one dll thats causing problems you could go the recovery console route and copy the dll from the install disc over the corrupt (or potentially corrupt) dll. But you don't have to do it that way.

If you simply boot up with the disk, it should detect an xp installation and give you the option of doing a repair install, which will replace the dll's.

But obviously if your so worried i can't stress enough : BACK UP YOUR DATA!!!!!!!

Didn't hear me? BACK...UP...YOUR....DATA!!!

iTunes even has an easy tool for backing up to optical media instead of a harddrive. DO IT! even if it take 100 DVD's just do it before you lose everything to a power spike or something.

Also, don't forget, if you uninstall itunes or windows or anything like that to DEAUTHORIZE THAT COMPUTER. You can play iTunes music on any computer you authorize but if you don't de-authorize it first it will simply go poof, you only get 4 or 5 authorizations. and they don't expire for 2 years! for instance i only have one computer authorized, but i've reinstalled a bunch and now i have one left cause i always forgot.

Your music will play just fine as long as that computer is authorized with your iTunes account. (not to mention if you burn the music to a music cd, you can always rip it back. drm-free)
    Last edited by RadicalxEdward; 2007-10-01 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

yeah clean install might be the way,

i just discovered this:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61675

mine is set to manual so i should be able to keep all my stuff when i do a new install.

how do you get itunes to backup the stuff from your ipod to your computer (got a backup partition for all of this stuff)?

sorry new to itunes and my first ipod,

thanks

----

about the deauthorization, i dont buy anything from itunes and that so that shouldnt be a problem yeh?
    Last edited by stealthfighter; 2007-10-01 at 03:54 PM.

Well you don't need to back up the ipod so to speak, the ipod syncs with your computer so you have to back up the stuff on your computer. In itunes, go to File>backup to disc... and follow the on screen prompts. If you wanna copy to hard drive, simply copy the entire iTunes folder to another location and copy it back when your done. This will keep your library file assuming your music is in the same location.

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalxEdward View Post
    Well you don't need to back up the ipod so to speak, the ipod syncs with your computer so you have to back up the stuff on your computer. In itunes, go to File>backup to disc... and follow the on screen prompts. If you wanna copy to hard drive, simply copy the entire iTunes folder to another location and copy it back when your done. This will keep your library file assuming your music is in the same location.
    well my itunes library and ipod are different, i dragged certain folders from my music into the ipod directly, and then i updated all the album arts to get it right (took ages) so thats why i kinda need a backup of my ipod instead.

any ideas?
    thanks

If you just dragged them over, then you can just leave them on the ipod. the ipod won't be erased if you just dragged them over. once you reinstall simply drag them back.

but i highly recommend getting things organized within iTunes. It will make your life a lot simpler over time.

oh ok so when I go to a new install it won't reset my ipod, that's all I was worried about

And that de-authorisation only applies to purchased music?

Thanks

oh ok so when I go to a new install it won't reset my ipod, that's all I was worried about

And that de-authorisation only applies to purchased music?

Thanks
    Yes it only applies to purchased music from the iTunes store.

When you plug your ipod in to the new install it will say, this ipod is synced with another library, it can only be synced with one, etc etc, it will say "erase and sync", "transfer purchases", "cancel" just hit cancel, copy the stuff from your ipod and onto your computer. add it to iTunes for easy management.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to RadicalxEdward For This Useful Post:

stealthfighter (2007-10-02)